Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The No Joke Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie

I have a near monogamous relationship with chocolate chip cookies. Other cookies have to work really hard to get me to pick them up. Look, I'm just at the age where I know what I like. I've been around the cookie block a few times, if you know what I mean. Oh, there was a time when I experimented a little, but I now know my type: I'm an all-American, give-me-a-bag-of-Nestle-Toll-House, chocolate chip cookie kind of girl. I've even found the best of the best cookie. Are you ready for it? Cause this one isn't interested in playing games. It's one serious cookie, let me tell you.

My friend Megan makes them all the time. If I lived by her I would talk her into making them every day and then I would sit in her kitchen, milk in hand, until they were done. I think she got the recipe from her sister, Katie, and maybe she got it somewhere else--like the top secret file of the culinary CIA. It's really that good. So without further ado, here is the recipe for my all-time favorite cookie:

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 lb butter, softened and at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs, at room temperature
2 C sugar
2 1/2 C brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
5 C flour (depending on your climate. You made need 5 1/2.)
4 C chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, beat butter until smooth. Mix in vanilla and eggs for about 3 to 4 minutes. (You will see a distinct change in the consistency when it is appropriately mixed. Cream sugar and brown sugar into butter mixture, then add baking soda, salt and flour. Mix. Add chocolate chips.

Bake about 9-11 minutes. Do NOT over-bake, even if cookies do not look done.


11 comments:

lletrad said...

I'm looking forward to trying this recipe. I've found that with time and perhaps changes in climate, temp, ovens, etc., my die-hard recipes just aren't the same quality. Thanks for sharing!

mother of seven said...

Did you make cookies today? Thanks for sharing. Next time you do let me know. One of my favorite things is baking with a friend.Eating them with a friend. And the greta conversation in the middle.Maybe sometime next week? Come to my house ......It's an invite:)

Anonymous said...

Yummy!! I have to say that I'm starting to have a sordid affair with gingersnaps. I really like soft and cakey things. ;)

Amanda said...

I'm a snickerdoodle girl myself but Paul is a chocolate chipper through and through. I'll have to pass on this recipe to him. He has a yummy one that includes a box of Jello pumpkin pudding mix. I'll have to get that to you.

He's going to ask: Is that UNsalted butter you use?

Laurel said...

Amanda,

NO!! I'm a salt fanatic! Salted butter and then add more salt? Now we're talking!

Kyle said...

Anything with a POUND of butter has to be good..am I right?

Debbie said...

Becky Pomeroy has the BEST chocolate chip recipe EVER! you cannot mess them up! Which is good for me..
This one sounds good too!

Erin said...

You are a God send. I have been wanting to make chocolate chip cookies for about a week now and now here is the perfect recipe. I think I will make them today.

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness...thanks a lot for making me want a batch NOW at 9 am. I seriously need to make these...or you could make them for me? :) I LOVE anything with chocolate. I make some DANG good homemade brownies. Maybe we should get together and try each other's yummies?

Kyle said...

I made these cookies today...they were super good! I contribute to a recipe blog and this months "challenge" was chocolate chip cookies..so I added this recipe! I hope you don't mind (I did give your credit and named it "Laurels Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies!") Thanks for the recipe!

Shana said...

Hey-My mom and I read this recipe and we want to try it of course.
But question...do you use real butter or can you use imperial, crisco sticks, etc... more specific please.

We need them now! :)