Friday, April 11, 2008

Do They Sell Self-Edit Buttons on Ebay? 'Cause I Need One.

Why do I say some of the things I do? For sure there are times when I get nervous and then my mouth gets way ahead of my brain. I wish I could be like those people who shut down when they feel uncomfortable. Nervousness just gives me verbal diarrhea. You wouldn't believe the number of times I've gone to bed after a party saying to Mr. Wicke, "Why? Why couldn't I just shut up? Do you think I talked too much? I did, didn't I? Why did I say..." Mr. Wicke is very patient.

Then there are times that I just like to be funny. And saying the things that everyone thinks but won't say is pretty funny. So there's that.

And maybe, at my most sadistic, I like to shock people--but only a little.

I don't know which of those things was in play last night at our women's group at church. Initially I let it slip to some women in the kitchen that although yesterday was our 15th wedding anniversary, I had actually forgotten until I woke up to flowers on the breakfast table. I know. It's horrible. I felt and still feel terrible, and their reaction didn't help.

"What?! You forgot your anniversary? I thought it was the man that did that sort of thing!"

I got nervous. "Well, I didn't actually forget our anniversary. I mean I knew it was coming," I said in my defense. "I just forgot what day it was today. I didn't realize it was the 10th when I woke up. I'm bad with dates."

"So you didn't do anything?"

"Well, not yet. He's done all sorts of romantic things all day, and I don't have a thing to give him," and maybe that's where I should have stopped. I didn't. "...so I'm just going to have to go home and put on some lingerie. That's what they really want anyway, isn't it?"

One woman burst out laughing, a couple turned away uncomfortably, and one poor girl couldn't even look me in the eye.

...Are we not supposed to talk about sex at church? Oh. Well, in that case, "Why? Why couldn't I just shut up?" Like I said, I find myself saying that a lot.

When I came home, I said to Mr. Wicke, "Do you think it's bad that I announced to some women at church that you and I were going to have sex tonight?"

He laughed out loud. See? I told you Mr. Wicke was really patient.

16 comments:

Kyle said...

Okay...that is too funny. Probably too much information to share at an Enrichment activity..but I'm not gonna lie..I'm sorry I missed it!
Also, I am the same way..I have come home so many times feeling like "why could I not stop talking..I talked WAY to much the whole night"..oh well!

Jen said...

I have that same affliction! My husband calls it "diarrhea of the mouth". I hope s*x was worth it though! :-)

Elisa said...

LOL! I totally have that affliction "diarrhea of the mouth! that is so totally me! I can't even begin to tell you how many times I come home from places and have to immediately go bang my head against the wall, and chant "must stop talking! must stop talking!" So far no dice...

Maybe that's why blogging is so good-- you can talk all you want-- whether people are listening or not! Just Brilliant!

Aubrey said...

That's something I would totally say and I would have been laughing with the other lady. I think we need to liven it up a bit (or more) at Enrichment. SOmetimes they're so stuffy.

mother of seven said...

Laurel Laurel Laurel.......Again I laugh at your expense. I'm sorry I really am.... But you are funny. I love it when you meet someone and you never have to wonder if that someone acts different somewhere else. You are who you are....As a couple you and Thomas are a great example. May you celebrate many anniversaries to come:)

Lauren said...

I too am laughing with you, not at you. (maybe just a little bit) haha. I probably would've said something like that, too. The point is-everyone at Enrichment who is married, knows what's going to happen anyways right? :)

Jenn said...

I think Enrichment would be more fun if sex came up a little more often! Keep shocking them, it's good for them!!

Justin said...

This Bishop thinks that you are just fine...and quite funny.

Betsy said...

I'm like that too. I always seem to shock people but I can never figure out why. I guess it's because almost NOTHING makes me uncomfortable. I really hate when you're talking, trying to be funny, but no one is laughing, so you just keep going, and going, and going, until everyone is staring at you and crickets start chirping and the (somewhat tardy) voice in your head goes, "SHUT UP, you idiot!"

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

to bad I wasnt there. I would of said the same thing :) I knew we got along for more reasons than one


ps, hope he enjoyed his night :) ha!

Rochelleht said...

I've so so so so done that. So so so many times.

You and I would be bff's if you lived here. Or if I lived there.

I like you.

Rebecca said...

Mmmm...I might have experienced something like that at girls camp, far, far away from the girls of course, and on a much grander scale. LOL!

Shana said...

Ah, if those women at your church activity night were offended by that, they need to loosen up a bit.
It is a well known fact that is what men really want. They are simple and easy creatures. Just because we are christians, doesn't mean we have to live like nuns.

Amber said...

well we seem to be in the same boat. i am the one who says way too much here. i am always challenging myself to say less.
happy anniversary!

Amanda said...

Your score with me has gone up at good 10 points with this post alone!

And, besides, the bible ENCOURAGES sex (in a marriage) so why can't we talk about it?

And, FTR, I once sat at a MOPS meeting forcibly holding a pen in my mouth the whole time just to keep myself from dominating the conversation because when I get nervous, I can't shut up either!

The Kriloff Klan said...

Dang I wish I were there! That would have made me laugh! With you of course not at you!