Monday, April 21, 2008

Just So You Know

Here's a bunch of Fundamental Latter-Day Saint women I don't know.

Here's a bunch of Latter-Day Saint women I do know. Can you see the difference?

On the Today show I heard the polygamists in the Texas Ranch fiasco described as members of the Latter-Day Saints. Just for the record: Today got it wrong. The members of that group call themselves Fundamentalist Latter-Day Saints. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday-Saints (yes, the Mormons.) It is a minor name change but a big, BIG difference.

It is important to note that the FLDS was founded in 1935 by two excommunicated Mormons: John Y. Barlow and Joseph White Musser. Having been excommunicated they were already living in opposition to the tenants of the LDS religion. It is no wonder that the religion they established now looks nothing like the one they opposed.

Here is a post I wish I had written to clearly delineate the differences between them and us.

And just so you know, the closest I've ever come to polygamy is when I was home visiting my mother one summer. She sent me to the grocery store for a few items. On her list was, of course, bread, and knowing how she loves good, homemade bread I picked the best looking loaf on the shelf.

The next morning as we were making toast for breakfast she snapped, "Laurel! You bought that polygamist bread!"

"What?" I laughed out loud.

"Oh, there's a group of polygamists that live out of town and they make this bread as one of their jobs. I do NOT buy this bread!"

"Well, geeze, Mom. How do you think I was supposed to know that? It's not like it has, 'Made by some Polygamists' written all over it. Besides it looks like really good bread."

At that moment Mr. Wicke interrupted, "You know, I thought it was kind of funny. After that second piece of toast, I had a hankerin' for another wife."

Yup. That's as close to polygamy as I've come. And, while I don't mean to be vain, I think I have better clothes and hair than the women on "The Ranch," so can you blame me if I get a little peeved when I get thrown in with them? They look pretty freaky to me, too. Just so you know.

15 comments:

Madame Queen said...

That must be so frustrating...to be lumped into a group like that.

Mr. Wicke's remark cracked me up, though!

Betsy said...

AMEN, LAUREL! CNN/Fox News did a pretty good job of deliniating the difference, but so many people just don't care. I met a guy on an airplane who totally associated Mormans with polygamy. The only thing that bugs me more is when people tell me I'm going to hell just because I'm a member.

Jen said...

well thanks for putting my mind at ease!! And I agree your clothes and hair are MUCH better. :-)

Kyle said...

So frustrating, I agree!

Elisa said...

My neighbors in Chicago were trying to convince...ahem... educate? my oldest child that we were totally going to marry her off when she turned 12.
I *LOVE* this post, and wish I had come up with the idea.
Great post!

Chrissy said...

You always have me laughing or yelling "AMEN!". Sometimes both.

Shana said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I remember that story. Yes, maybe close in name, but miles apart in every other way.
Thanks for putting it out there!

Lauren said...

Thanks for addressing this. I still can't believe that we have them in OUR TOWN in Lovell. Yikes!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

Thanks for pointing out the differences, poor misguided people. But cute RS group!!!

In my college English class we had one of the "Lost Boys" in attendance and when we read his papers it just made you sick. There is no greater evil then what damage they inflict on those kids and I am just glad that something is finally being done about it.

In the beginning there was a reason for polygamy,and that could be a whole other month worth of posts, but now it is pure EVIL!!!!!!!

Amanda said...

The closest I ever came to polygamy was right after Kirby was born and I thought that having another woman around full-time sounded like a great idea!

Just for the record: *I* needed a wife, not my husband! LOL!

Kate said...

Great post... and yes, when I watch those women... I think- I am so different from them. It is sad that they are so caught up in that- I hope that justice will be served.

Rochelleht said...

First off, you are SOOO stinkin' cute, girl!

Great post. I've been slightly obsessed with this. I don't know why. Mostly because of the bad fashion, I think (am I really that shallow?).

Remember when I was a polygamist for Halloween? Good times, good times. Seeing that chick on tv with the unibrow makes me sad I didn't think of that last October.

Amber said...

I have to admit most of my life I have been fascinated by this sect of religion. I love to stop In Colorado City on the way to and from Lake Powell. There is something so upsetting about their lifestyle and something that makes me feel for them with all their misguided knowledge. While I don't agree that these children should be forced to believe and forced to act, "brain-washed", uprooting any child out of their homes and family opens a whole new can of worms. Read the book Escape. Its pretty disturbing, but interesting.

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Yeah, that whole "F" part of FLDS seems to get overlooked a lot. Whether it's said or not, people only seem to catch the LDS part. So...hopefully most people know some real Mormons, and can recognize the obvious differences!!!

Lains said...

Both sets of women look pretty similar to me. . . I'll have to look again at the photos :)

KIDDING! Information is the bottom line- and the right information is out there for the people that are interested in knowing the truth. It made me think about what I don't know with regards to other peoples cultures and religions-- and assumptions that I might have that are false and unsubstantiated.