Thursday, April 10, 2008

Concerns of a Corn Flake

I'm afraid I'm Cornflakes. Not that there's anything wrong with Cornflakes, per se. They're still around after all these years; they are a solid standby. It's just that there isn't anything mysterious, exotic or alluring about Cornflakes. They're not colorful or unexpected in any way. Once in a while I even ask Mr. Wicke, "Who wants to eat Cornflakes day after day when there are hundreds of other options out there: Apple Jacks, Trix, Frosted Flakes, and Captain Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch, for crying out loud. "

Deep down I think all women share this concern. Attracting our mate may be the easy part after all. How do you keep someone interested when they know all your bad habits, your beauty secrets, and your dumb jokes? What is there left to talk about when they already know all your best stories? One day won't he just get tired of the same old thing?

As of today Mr. Wicke has hung in there with me for 15 years. That's a lot of Cornflakes for one man.

And he doesn't seem to mind. After fixing Logan's hair this morning I walked into the kitchen to find this:

The note read:
A thought over breakfast as the day dawns on our 15th anniversary:

The best things in life are those glorious constants:
A crisp sunrise promising a new day;
Home that is always warm and familiar;
The quiet peace of Sunday;
Times and seasons of days, weeks, months, and years.

And then, of course, there are Cornflakes.
That delectable food that is so satisfying
I would eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
And sneak an extra helping for dessert...

Ode to my wonderful, delicious, lascivious...*
My very own, one and only heavenly helping of Cornflakes.

--Milk

(*some parts were ommitted to protect said Cornflakes' sense of modesty and privacy, what there is of it.)

Turns out Mr. Milk likes Cornflakes. He even thinks we were made for each other. I guess that makes being Cornflakes just about perfect. (But I hope he doesn't mind if I get a little crazy once in a while and throw some banana slices in, just to spice things up!)

10 comments:

Betsy said...

That is the sweetest (and most well-written) thing I have ever heard! You're so lucky!

Rochelleht said...

That ROCKS!!! I love surprise notes and gifts. And a creative one in a cereal box!? All the better.

Elisa said...

I am either a hormonal mess from just having a baby, (cause that acutally made my eyes get all teary)or your husband is every womans dream!!!
You are a lucky woman!
Congrats on the cornflakes! (and 15 years of marriage!)

Britany said...

That is so sweet! Congratulations!

Lisa-Marie said...

Aaaaaaaah. That is so thoughtful and lovely! I hope the two of you have a great day!

Kyle said...

That is so cute and creative! And I just have to say...I think you are anything but BLAND! I don't think you have anything to worry about!

Kate said...

This is the cutest thing.. T puts it so beautifully... and btw you are one of the most unboring, fun, creative people I know... But I know what you mean- sometimes I am no surprise to my dh... maybe we can all give each other tips on how to spice it up a bit!

Melissa said...

Truly sweet.

Lauren said...

AHHH!!! I loved it! You have a great husband...At least he sounds like it. Look at my blog for my husband's 3 creative things... I'm so glad that Mr. Wicke loves you. Who wouldn't?

Amanda said...

Awww! That is so sweet!

Just so you know - I had Captain Crunch the other day and two hours later on was on the floor with a tummy ache. Give the the ol' standby anyday. Exotic is overrated!

Oh, and when I first read your post I thought you said, "I'm afraid OF Cornflakes". I kept reading thinking, "I don't understand her fear". :P