Monday, April 7, 2008

Bad Habits, Stupid Reflexes, and Other Things that are Not Funny

I have a bad habit. Well, I have a few, but the one that caused me the most discomfort recently is this: Should an item fall, whether dropped, knocked, or bumped, I instinctively try to reduce the impact with my foot. That sounds stupid, but I've saved many a glass bottle that way and protected my wood floors from numerous dents and gouges at the same time. And it's not like I plan it. It's a reflex of sorts. One which, after last night, I have determined to curb--at least while wearing open-toed shoes.

Last night, as I was hurriedly finishing up the dinner dishes and putting pots and pans away, I clumsily dropped a lid, which I instinctively tried to "catch" with my big toe. While that is not possible, I did discover that it is possible for it to land directly in the soft bed of my toenail and send shooting pains the likes of which I have not experienced in some time.

"Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!" I screamed, grabbing my foot in one hand and steadying myself with the other as I hopped and danced on my single good foot. "Sonofa--Oh...Geeze...aaaahhhh...c'mon!" I was in that long dark tunnel of pain when I actually heard snickering behind me. Snickering, I tell you!

Well, there is only one appropriate reply, and I delivered it through clenched teeth like a fired-up nine year old: "Griffin! It's not funny!" Thank heavens for Logan who offered to get me a bag of ice and ran for Mr. Wicke. (Both of which can fix everything in her book.) But I can't get over my snickering son.

See, I have some experience with funny, and I can give expert testimony that it was not, in fact, funny. It still isn't funny, especially if I lose my big toenail for my summer pedicure. That is no laughing matter, people! Even if it is my own dumb fault. Stupid reflexes!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I am sorry and I don't think it's funny either - (but Griffin makes me giggle).

The Kriloff Klan said...

While I was reading this I thought, "Oh no I hope she doesn't loose her toenail in time for summer toes!" Great vain minds think alike! So sorry!

Shana said...

Heeheehee! Let me make this clear that I am not laughing at you, but at myself, because I happen to do that all the time. What is that???
It is so stupid, but for some reason, I do it? Maybe it runs in our blood?
I hope you don't loose your toenail, that would not be fun. Maybe the little oriental women at the nail salon could paint you a fake one for the summer, it is did fall off. They are talented at that kind of stuff!

Madame Queen said...

GAH! Once when I was a child, a can of soup fell out of the grocery cart onto my mom's big toe and nearly cut the top of it off! Months later, her toe started hurting and a piece of her toenail started working its way out of her skin where it had been buried by the force of the can.

So, yes, please stop catching things with your toes!!

Amanda said...

I always say - Teeth and toes: two of the smallest parts of the body that can cause you the most pain.

I hope you don't lose your toe either. Kirby lost his when he dropped a can of corn on it. It was not pretty at all. Gross, actually. And it seems to be taking FOR-EVAH to grow back.

mother of seven said...

Sorry!!!! I did a dumb guy yesterday myself. I did not drop anything(Brenlie was in my arms) but I fell in my living room. I tried to break my fall with my right knee. The baby hit the highchair and I twisted my left ankle. All in slow motion. What did I trip on? that would be Frank's shoe. For the LOVE How many times do I say...put your shoes away. :)

Rochelleht said...

OUCH! So sorry! Not fun to be laughed at, either. I really hope you don't lost it.

Megan B said...

Let me know about the toe and the pedicure thing. Totally and completely will screw up our reunion. Sorry!