Monday, April 14, 2008

Dad's Answer for the Most Important Meal of the Day

Some things could be counted on as sure as the sun would rise every morning. Grandma Peterson would never say goodbye after a telephone conversation, Grandma Doty would always insist we eat the apples off of the ground first, and Mom would always make breakfast before sending her children off to school. Like the Earth circling the sun or the ebb and flow of the tides, we took it for granted: Our rights included breakfast.

That’s why when Mom was called as an early morning seminary teacher, she nearly said no. She still had a child at home, someone who needed a good hearty breakfast before school. Who could do that if she weren’t there in the morning?

“Dee Ray, you have to promise me that you will get up and make sure Laurel has breakfast before she leaves for school every morning.”

I’m not sure how much faith she actually had in his abilities to accomplish this feat as he was not a morning person nor did he possess any culinary skills, but he did give her the Boy Scout’s Honor and that meant something. Her first day was not, however, free from worry, and rightly so.

Just as I was ready to leave the house, Dad came stumbling out of their bedroom dressed only in his underwear and without his toupee. Still trying to get his eyes to focus, he firmly said, “Wait! I promised your mother I’d feed you breakfast.” He had opened the refrigerator and was examining the inside.

“Dad, I don’t have time. Besides, I’m not hungry anyway.”

“No! I promised your mother,” he said, eyes darting around the room. “Here! Eat a cookie.”

Nothing sounded more revolting than a heavy dose of pure sugar at eight in the morning. “No thanks. I don’t want a cookie.”

“Eat it.”

“Dad, I—“

“They have eggs and milk and flour. That’s all breakfast stuff.” He was getting desperate.

“…Okay, thanks for breakfast, Dad.”

“Have a good day,” he said as I walked out the front door holding the chocolate chip cookie in my hand. Mission accomplished.

Turns out there were some other things we could count on: Dad would never do his best work in the morning, and he’d never make breakfast, but he’d always try to keep his promises.

7 comments:

Madame Queen said...

LOL! You know, I never ate breakfast growing up, and didn't really start eating it regularly until I was pregnant with Bubba. But now I'm like the breakfast police. Do as I say, I guess.

Erin said...

That's great. My dad was always big on fruit. He would always be giving us fruit. Dad's are so funny!

Rochelleht said...

I LOVED that. How fun. Well, promises are very important.

I'm more of your dad's school. Sugar is always my breakfast of champions.

Lauren said...

Such a funny, sweet story. I think that I would've preferred to eat the cookie other than something else. I take that back...I could've eaten a WHOLE dozen of cookies for breakfast. :)

Kyle said...

Gotta love dads and their logic! One time we were staying at my in laws and my father in law gave the kids chocolate cake for breakfast..when I questioned him he said "its just as healthy as a doughnut"..I guess he has a point!

Amanda said...

I see nothing wrong with this. I like your Dad!

Kyle: Once my husband admonished me for having a brownie in the morning. I asked him to explain the difference between having a brownie and having a donut. This was years ago - he has yet to explain!

Kate said...

I love this story.... and I love breakfast... the sweet fatty stuff... it is my favorite meal of the day. I need your email to add you to my private list... email me.. katestreer@gmail.com