Monday, April 28, 2008

Just Another Friday Night in the Rabbit Hole

On Friday Mr. Wicke and I took the kids to see the daughter of a friend in a dance recital. One might naturally assume that it was during the nearly two hour show when things fell apart, but that isn't so. Everything considered, the kids behaved themselves very well; only afterward did we fall down the rabbit hole.

During our long journey to the parking lot I noticed Griffin looking a bit upset. "What's the matter, buddy? Are you okay?"

"I don't feel good."

"What's the matter?"

Logan interrupted. "Mom, can I run down that hill?"

"Okay."

Griffin suddenly perked up. "Can I go, too?"

"Sure."

Funny how kids turn on a dime. The sudden highs and lows of childhood constantly amaze me, and they just keep coming. After Logan returned from her brief hike she wailed, "I have to go potty!"

"Logan! Are you serious? Why didn't you say something inside?"

"Because I didn't need to go potty then."

"Well, look around. There's no potty in sight."

"I could go in a bush or something."

"I think you are getting a little too old for that," her daddy quickly explained.

"Can you hold it until we get to the restaurant?" I asked.

"Um...I'll try."

Minutes later she is in the back of the van doing the potty shuffle. "Logan, are you doing okay?" I'm familiar enough with her walnut-sized bladder to worry.

"I'm trying to hold it."

"We're almost there."

"Daddy, can you stop somewhere?"

"Honey, I don't think she's going to make it," I agree.

Thomas finds a Circle K, and Logan and I run inside. Too late. She's already peed her pants. Ugh. I pull off her underwear and throw them away.

"Mommy! What are you doing? Those were my favorite!"

"You have favorite underwear? C'mon."

"But I love those."

"Logan, they are soaked! I'm not carrying around pee-peed panties in my purse."

"I tried to hold it!"

"I know, but honey you can not wait until the last possible minute to tell us you need to go potty."

"I didn't!"

"Logan, you wait so long that you can't hold it. You need to tell us sooner--the minute you think you might need to go--so we can find a place without you peeing in your pants." I never seem to make myself clear in these conversations. I did not major in Potty Education, and I am pretty certain I am missing some key elements of the course. I just can't seem to communicate the basics.

Finally we get back in the car where Griffin has been contentedly watching The Incredibles. "Well, she didn't make it," I inform Mr. Wicke.

"Oh, no."

"Oh, it's alright. Let's just get something to eat. We're all hungry and tired."

By the time we drive to Cafe Rio, Griffin has fallen asleep, or at least I think so. It's hard to tell as his current favorite activity is pretending to be asleep so we will carry him.

"Oh, brother. C'mon, little man," I soothe as I pick him up to carry him inside. "Let's get something to eat and then we'll go home, okay?"

"I don't want to eat."

"What? You don't want a quesadilla?" They are usually his favorite. "Would you like a taco instead?"

"I don't want anything."

I can't seem to catch a break. "Griffin, I know you're hungry." By now we are up at the counter and next in line to order. Suddenly he picks his head up and says, "I don't feel good," and the next moment I'm covered in vomit. It's down my shirt, inside my bra, in a giant puddle on the floor and splashed onto my shoes.

I hear a couple of patrons gasp and the man behind the 5 foot counter says, "Is he alright?"

"No..." Thomas has left, I assume to find something to help, but Griffin is gagging again. I cup my hands below his mouth and he vomits into them. It seems everyone in the restaurant is frozen looking at us. Griffin begins to heave again, and all I can get out is, "Give me something!"

The man behind the counter thrusts an aluminum tray at us just in the nick of time, although at this point there is not much left in the poor little guy's stomach. When he has finished none of us knows quite what to do. Griffin looks up at me with those sad, confused eyes. "It's okay, buddy." I then look to the customer next to me and the man behind the counter. "Sorry about that."

Much to their credit they are both very understanding and kind. "Oh, that's okay. It happens."

Yes. Yes, it does. I am becoming very familiar with the rabbit hole by now. It's one kooky place to be. You never know what's going to happen from one minute to the next, but if there is one thing you can count on it is this: It will probably happen in public.

16 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh dear. Pee pee pants and vomit all in one night.
well, at least it makes for good blogging.

Erin said...

It's almost a flashback to the mini golf days. Campbell threw up one time in Target (like 2 Tablespoons worth), I almost didn't tell anyone. But I did and the teenage guy that came walked away making comments like "I can't believe people bring kids shopping with them." Really?

Amber said...

2 in 1. I am not sure how these things seem to happen to you and go from bad to worse... I suppose it makes for an interesting read for us!
To a better day.

Kyle said...

That is really bad...that is not just a normal mom day (luckily)..that takes the cake of a really bad day!!

Betsy said...

Between mini gold and Cafe Rio, I'm starting to thing you shouldn't take your kids out in public. I guess you can't really keep them cooped up in your house like it's a zoo, though, can you? Maybe you should ask if anyone has to poop, pee or vomit three times before you leave anyplace.

The Kriloff Klan said...

Ok, I have tears running down my cheeks! That was hilarious! I mean I am sooo sorry! My sister was sitting in church with her kids & hubby. They were in the back on the wood floor section. Her son kept getting up & coming over to her, not saying anything mind you. She kept telling him to go sit down! We know the routine. All of the sudden Blake threw up all over the family on front of them on the way over to her! At that point he emptied the rest of his stomach into her lap! She held up the bottom hem of her skirt & gave everyone a show on the way out. The family in front of them, bless there hearts, were super nice, but also went home to shower & change. They had to move the chairs, get out the mop, & clean up the mess in the middle of sacrament mtg! My sister later that week brought the unfortunate family a gift certificate to a restaurant & a card that said: Since you didn't like lunch on you here's lunch on us! I love that story! Probably because it didn't happen to me!!!!

Lauren said...

Oh dear. I'm so sorry. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who is dealing with this stuff, too. Especially the potty stuff. I can't believe how long our girls will wait! Poor Griffin. I hope that he's doing better. WE MUST GET TOGETHER SOON!

Amanda said...

*note to self: NEVER go anywhere with Laurel and her kids*

hee hee

I seriously cannot believe your luck but I won't laugh too hard because I know my time is coming!

1blueshi1 said...

Oh, WOW. You deserve a medal. At least they did not reach out and throw a stranger's hot dog on the floor into the bargain!
BTW, I really appreciate it when you blog the hard times. I look at your pictures, you look so pretty and blond and put together, and your marriage seems so happy--if I just saw your picture I would never think that you go through all this stuff too.
Thanks. It helps to know that we're all in this together.
And I hope your precious ones are better soon. I had one vomiting this AM.

mother of seven said...

Knock on wood....... But we are ok here. the flu seems to be going around. I am sooooooooooooo sorry. I have been in similiar shoes, I will not lie. But it has been awhile. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I would love to have Griffin over, if that would give you some time to "recover"

Jen said...

oh my! This happened to me one Christmas day. Sawyer was four and walked up to me and said "I don't feel good". The next second, I had vomit all over my face, in my mouth, all over my glasses, all down the front of me. Ugh!! Never a dull moment! :-)

Rochelleht said...

I'll say this. Nothin' stops you guys from having a good time! Please tell me you ordered to go. ;-)

Debbie said...

oh I'm sorry!
Kennedy threw up in a fry's grocery store all over me!
I ran her to the floral dept and let her finish in the sink!!
It was so not fun..That was the night before we left for disneyland...Oh the fun!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I know that this is truly not funny when you are going through it, but I just want to say thank you for making my day. I have never laughed so hard, well since the poopy golf story. I think this is just about as good.
What is it with kids and bodily functions and timing? It is never when there are bathrooms around and always seems to be when everyone is looking.
You poor thing, I hope he feels better soon. But thank you for making me truly "Belly Laugh" today!!

Angie said...

I always enjoy your bodily fluid stories.

Jennifer said...

Oh Laurel, how does trouble seem to find you? Okay, it finds all of us moms. I so sympathize. If I had a dime for every time I've had to cup my hands as a puke catcher, I'd have earned about $1.10 in the past 5 years!