Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I Have Some Quetions, People; And One Big Opinion (Yes. Another One.)

There's this little thing at the bottom of my blog called a site meter. Maybe you've noticed it; maybe you haven't. Basically it means that I can pretty much find out how many people visit my site, how long they stayed, their referring URL, where they live, how many children they have, and their hobbies and interests. (Okay, I'm joking about the last two.) Does that freak you out a little? Well, it does me because I am left with a lot of questions. Like who in Suwanee, Georgia is visiting me every day. (Whoever it is may have choked on her Wheaties just now.) Because I'd like to know a little bit about her...and pretty much everyone else. I'm just curious that way.

I can also see what google searches lead people to my blog, and I always feel a bit sorry for those who are, in reality, looking for information about actual tea parties. They must be severely disappointed to stumble onto me. Sorry. I don't actually know much about tea parties or tea party invitations, but I can tell you a great story about poop and my four year old's birthday. No? Okay, I understand.

My top two google searches include: 1) my recipe for snickerdoodle cookies. That I get, and I can proudly hold my head up there.

But number two confuses me. #2) is my list of 37 reasons why I love Mr. Wicke. Many people are going to google and typing in "reasons i love him" to generate a search, and then they come to see me and probably many others. (As it turns out a lot of people are making such lists.)

Here's my question, though. What is the searcher's motivation? What is he/she looking for exactly? Is she trying to determine whether she is truly in love herself? Is she holding her significant other up for comparison? Or maybe she is trying to figure out what she should be looking for in a companion.

If that's the case I have something significant to say on the matter, and this is it: Love alone is the worst possible reason to commit completely to another human being. Yeah, you read that right. And tomorrow I'll tell you why.

Today, tell me whether you agree or disagree. Yeah, I'm talking to you Suwanee, Georgia. (Tee hee. I love doing that!)

15 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Well,one of my best friends lives in Suwanee, so maybe it's her. :-) I always forget I have the site meter. Maybe I'll go look at it right now.

Erin said...

I totally agree. Lust was the drive for us, JUST KIDDING! Now, after almost 8 years of marriage, I am surprised how well I did pick at such a young age. Those Wicke's are just good guys!

The Kriloff Klan said...

I thought the next sentance was going to be... so I've decided to go private!!!! Hee Hee, you don't need someone in Georgia to blame for that one!

Madame Queen said...

Suwanee is not that far from here, so I was thinking they might have linked from me, but then again, I've never seen Suwanee on my site meter, so it probably didn't come from me. I did have someone from the House of Representatives on my site once. That was kind of cool. And kind of scary.

Madame Queen said...

OH! and I forgot to say that you're right -- Love is not the best reason to commit. Because sometimes you fall out of "love" with the person you married. There have to be other reasons, too.

Kyle said...

I totally know what you mean...someone from Indiana is always on my blog...I don't know ANYONE in Indiana! Its so weird!Also, did you know that you can block your blog so that when people do google searches your blog won't come up...even if they search for you name...thought you might like to know that! If you are interested I can tell you how to block it!

Anonymous said...

Darn, I'm totally bummed that Suwanee hasn't come out of lurking. Now you've got me wondering. he he

mother of seven said...

wierd..... Ok I totally agree with you on the love thing. Life has many aspects to it. Love inclusive. Am sitting on the edge of my seat to see if Mrs.Suwanne answers:)

Laurel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurel said...

Just for the record, I am not at all bugged by people I don't know reading my blog. In fact, I LOVE it! I think it's completely intriguing and really flattering, and more than anything I'd like to know more about them.

If I was a private person, I think blogging would be the totally wrong way to go bout it. No. I consider this blog open to the public. I haven't had any negative experiences, and hope I never will.

More than anything I've made some very interesting and inspiring aquaintances, people I would never have met any other way. And that's a huge blessing for a stay at home mom that doesn't get out much! I think the blogging world is fascinating.

Kate said...

I used to do the stat thing... and it just started to drive me crazy... and freak me out a little... I went 'private' because- random people in my neighborhood were reading.. (I know weird) not strangers I knew... I guess I am a control freak and want to know who is reading my blog. Come to find out- when I mentioned I was going 'private'- the ones who don't know me- didn't care much... Now I know exactly who is reading my blog.

Jennifer said...

I agree completely. I married my husband so that I wouldn't have to kill any more spiders or mow the lawn. These are things I call "husband jobs". But then again, I am crazy about the guy.

And Laurel, the reason I haven't commented up to this point is because I don't trust myself...I've got so many funnies to tell on you! (like the time we had to call the cops because you thought your car was stolen, but we were just on the wrong level of the parking garage...that's one of the best!)

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

I have the same thing on my blog, I forget to look at it though! But I always get people who look on google at "my husband is trying to kill me" ( i wrote it last year about some random drink he made me drink) NOW, try to not worry about that huh? yeah,at least you have people in love looking at your blog...I have the crazy killers

Melissa said...

Oh I can't tell you how many times I have looked at site meeter and wondered the same things. Who are these people?
Scary!

Abby said...

Hi Laurel. I have written before but just wanted to calm your fears.... (I know you don't mind but it would calm my fears lol). Anyway, Im Abby Eaton, I used to be in your ward in AZ but then I moved to ID.

I really enjoy reading your blog bc you are hilarious. I know I can have a good laugh (or here lately) a sappy cry when I read your blog.

Just to comment. I agree that Love is not the reason to marry someone. That was something my father always told me. I chose someone absolutely perfect for me! And I don't think that I did that all on my own. Thank goodness for prayer bc I didn't even know what I needed at such a young age.