Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Day I Taught Mr. Wind a Lesson

We have these weird weather phenomenons in Arizona called microbursts. At least that's what people call them. I'm no meteorologist, but I do know they're kind of like a bad house guest. They barge in without much warning, blow stuff all over the place, rain on your parade a little bit, and just as suddenly are gone without so much as a "how you do?" Yesterday one of them sunk all four of my pool lounge chairs in the deep end of my swimming pool. See what I mean? Thoughtless.

Today when the weather picked up, I was on the phone with a friend and looked out the back window to see my pool umbrella blowing across the deck and lodging between the wall and the loungers. It looked as if it was ready to snap. I hung up quickly and ran outside with Griffin hard on my heels. The wind whipped my hair into my eyes and mouth and roared in my ears. I don't like wind. He's kind of rude.

I finally reached the umbrella and grabbed it without really thinking things through. Suddenly I found the open umbrella acting as a sort of parachute, dragging me backward toward the pool. Screaming and struggling for balance, I realized that it needed to be closed immediately. As I attempted to hold the weight of the umbrella with one hand, the wind shifted slightly and the metal bar hit me in the head. I think I might have cursed. Meanwhile, with my right hand, I grasped the handle and began to turn when the wind suddenly changed directions again and the umbrella crashed shut, the closing mechanism gashing both sides of my left thumb and cutting my pinkie finger. I don't think I cursed since it hurt so badly I couldn't breathe, let alone talk. Finally, with Griffin's help, I managed to get the dadgummed thing back in its stand without bleeding all over it too badly.

Later, after Neosporin and Band-aids had been applied, Griffin said, "Mom, the wind wants to say it's sorry for hurting you."

"Oh, really?" I countered, jokingly. "Well, you can go ahead and tell the wind that I'm not forgiving him because my hand is still hurting."

He surprised me when he quickly walked over to the sliding glass door, opened it, and yelled, "She doesn't forgive you!"

Ha! Take that Mister Wind! I'm not just somebody you can push around...well, on second thought I guess you can, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

10 comments:

Elisa said...

Yikes! We had a microburst out in Chicago that knocked the power out for 4 days... in the middle of July... Not fun.

That little experience of yours gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "ride like the wind"!

Lauren said...

Joseph and the kids were swimming, came home, and literally 2 minutes later the wind went nuts. I'm not so sure about this Arizona weather. Does it get SUPER hot really soon?

"The Queen in Residence" said...

Utah also experiences microbursts. My experience was with one as I was mowing the lawn. I wrapped my arms around the bar of the mower and felt myself start to levitate. In retrospect holding on to a machine with a big rotating blade was not the smartest thing to do but there you go. Anyway, as I was holding on for dear life, I watched my neighbors tramploine take flight and fly over 2 yards and into a busy thru-street. Thankfully no one was hurt but WOW - you just cannot underestimate the power of those microbursts.
I hope that you and the wind can make up soon and that your hand will be better soon.

Erin said...

So funny that you just posted this. Check this out: http://www.slicesoflight.com/emilykate/?p=354
The wind is a crazy thing. I actually think it's not sorry it hurt you. That naughty wind!

Amanda said...

You described all that so well I could see the whole thing play out in my mind's eye.

Oh sweet that Griffin not ran out to assist you with the umbrella but that he tried to patch things up between you and Mr. Wind. :)

The Kriloff Klan said...

Dang I'm sorry! That was a little crazy yesterday! If you need help getting the chairs out I know a few little eager volunteers!

Anonymous said...

I bet the wind is awful sorry it messed with you! I still don't think you should forgive it!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

hey, I just read about your wonderful ripe eggs..that is to bad you produced so many, but good too. Im sure you would rather have that then none...but I KNOW the pain...I have had 17 at one time!!!

Good luck

Shana said...

Love the mental picture I got while reading this one! You are always good for a laugh!
Love ya!

Rochelleht said...

WOW! That's some wind! I loved all your detail. Brilliant writing!