Friday, May 9, 2008

A Proclamation

I am officially a dork. Not that that is news to those who really know me, but it is humiliating when the universe is bent on helping me recognize it. It seems as though I am presented daily with opportunities to display my dorkiness. Like today:

This morning was Breakfast with Mom and the annual Book Fair at Logan's elementary school. I am on my way out, almost stepping into the crosswalk, my arms loaded with books and my mind very much elsewhere, when an SUV pulls by. I hear someone yell, "Hey, beautiful!" It happens in a flash. I look up. The window is rolled down and someone I mistake for my friend Monique Decker is looking right at me waving furiously. The thing is, now--when I have time to consider it--my logical mind knows that Monique's kids do not attend Logan's school and there is no way she would be driving an SUV in the school parking lot this morning, but in that moment...well, I broke out in a huge smile and waved just as vigorously.

It was midwave when I realized she was waving to the diminuative Asian crossing guard standing only about four feet in front of me. Oh, how I wish subtlety was in my nature. Instead I just jump into life with both feet and think about it later. But it is good for a laugh. Like afterward in the parking lot I told a couple of my friends about it. Their reply? "Of course you did."

See? It doesn't surprise them anymore either. They know I'm a dork. But they also know I am able to laugh about it. Like when I pulled up at a light on my way home and heard a honk. I looked over and there was my friend with her window down, waving furiously and yelling, "Hey, beautiful!" Apparently the universe isn't the only one with a sense of humor.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

While you may believe you are a dork, we are hoping that some of your ability to jump in with both feet will rub off on the rest of us. And that at some point we can be brave enough to have some of your zest for life and try something out of our comfort zones. Who knows, that lady with the beautiful comment may want to talk to the woman brave enough to respond to it, and so another friendship created.
Besides, many of us like to be just associated with dorks like you!

Kyle said...

That is too funny! Just so you know...I do stuff like that all the time. One time some one was said "hi" and I didn't recognize them at all so I said "Hi, I'm sorry..do I know you?" and she says "no, I was saying hi to her" as she points to a lady over my shoulder..OF COURSE! I felt like a huge dork!

Kyle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shana said...

I love your dorkiness. Is that a word? Maybe it is genetic or something? I tend to be the same way and I always stop later and wish I would just think things through a little bit before doing something dumb.
Oh well! That is me and that is you. I say, take us or leave us. :)

Rochelleht said...

I think the universe is trying to tell you you're beautiful.