Monday, May 5, 2008

The Highs and Lows of Girl Time

The Low:
When Logan and I went to get our fingers and toes painted we sat in the waiting area "reading" a magazine. Well, I read. Logan gave advice. She opened to the first page which was a cosmetics ad with some fresh faced young celebrity. She got my attention and motioned to the page.

"Wow. Yeah. That's really pretty," I agreed.

She hesitated only a moment and then said, "You know, Mom. You should try this because...um...you have a lot of lines."

"You think I have a lot of lines?"

"Yeah. A lot of lines around here," she said pointing to the area just below her eye.

I belly laughed right out loud. "You know what, honey? Those are called wrinkles, and there isn't any makeup out there that's going to help with that."

Why?"

"Because I'm getting old."

The Highs:
Logan snuggling up next to me during the movie.

Our conversation after the movie which started with Logan's very grown up question: "So who was your favorite character, Mom?"

Logan wanting to sit right next to me during dinner.

Reading our fortunes after dinner.

Laughing together.

And then, at the end of the night, as we walked back to our car hand-in-hand, she said, "I love you, Mom. We should have lots more girlie-girl time."

And that made all the wrinkles worth it. I wouldn't trade one of them for the life I have now.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

my kids tell me that I'm not old...just my skin is old!

mother of seven said...

you made the right choice.....I missed you. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Unknown said...

Amen. There is no better feeling than being totally at peace with where you are in life. And as a side note, if Logan thinks you have wrinkles, she ought to see Kirby and Connor's mommy!

Lisa-Marie said...

They're laugh lines and you have them for a reason. It's called JOY!

I'm so glad that your girlie girl time was fabulous!

Amanda said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! London and I need some girlie-girl time pretty soon.

And, you know what? I did not show one sign of aging - NOT ONE - until after London came along. Go figure.

Lauren said...

Fun times! Your Logan sounds so very sweet. :)

Madame Queen said...

Awww! That sounds like fun! I can't wait until Punkin is old enough to have girl nights.

Elisa said...

Thats so sweet!

My kids were telling me I needed to go wash my face, cause I had chocolate all over it. I went and looked, Nope. No chocolate... they pointed to where it supposedly was-- Nope. Those are just Mommies aging spots--- caused by you rug rats!

Debbie said...

aleck told me I had cracks around my eyes...Great! :)