Monday, May 19, 2008

Rules of Rubbish

Has somebody changed the rules and forgotten to tell me? Are we now putting the stamp of approval on slobbery? That is the question that is always in my head after leaving a movie. Or a professional sports event. C'mon...I can't be the only one who's noticed it.

We walk into a lovely venue with the new padded reclining chairs and state of the art technology, spend an enjoyable couple of hours being entertained, and then leave it looking like the aftermath of a bad teen party. I can't really understand it. I mean we bring in the popcorn, the sodas, the hot dogs, the candy, what have you, and who says we can just leave it for someone else to clean up? It's just bad manners, isn't it?

Or maybe I just need to revamp my tired speech to my kids. Maybe now I need to say, "Hey! We don't just throw our trash on the floor and expect someone to pick it up...that is until you are a grown up in a public place. Then they have people to do that for you."

What's your take? Carry it out or leave it?

11 comments:

Laurel said...

I like to think that I always carry out my trash, but to be honest I've left a popcorn bucket or two.

mother of seven said...

I agree with you 400% I will always clean up. At a restaurant and especially at the movies. When we are out to eat we make a mess. Babies drop on the floor. I take a napkin and do the best we can. I HATE going to sit down with my feet on a bed of fries and smushed hamburger!!!!

At the movies I can not stand sitting down to someone else's mess. My feet sticking to the floor is the worst!!!!!

I do not bring a mop, but we do clean up...Otherwise I am sending a clear message, "You only clean up when someone else is watching" And to me who you are all the time is most important!!

Kate said...

I completely agree with you! It drives me crazy, but ask any guy what he does and it will be the opposite (or is that a big assumption?)

Jen said...

Carry it out--always. There's nothing worse than going into a movie after someone has spilled their pop under your seat and having to sit with your feet on a sticky floor for two hours. Yuck!!

Lisa-Marie said...

Carry it out. Pu-lease. Americans (or humans in general maybe) have gotten so rude and entitled. It saddens me.

And while we are on the subject... take your cart back to the cart "place" when you are at the grocery store too.

I know. I know. I'm grumpy!!!!

Debbie said...

Here's my take, why have the prices of movies gone up? Because they have to hire more people to clean up more stuff that more people have left behind. I say we do our best to carry it out with us and influence the people around us to do the same. If you send out good things, then good things come back right. And then maybe it won't cost us a small fortune to go see a movie, eh?

Madame Queen said...

Carry out! Give a hoot, don't pollute -- whether it's inside or out.

Elisa said...

My kids look like little mini Sherpa's when we go places --- you pack it in, you pack it out.
Done deal.
The end.

Amanda said...

I have said for years that when God handed out guilt, I got in line twice. I simply cannot bring myself to leave my trash behind.

Like Jodi said, when we go out to eat, we make a mess. I do my best but I can't get all that is left on the floor under the table. I DO, however, always make it a point to apologize to the waitress or hostess about it. Little eyes are watching me.

Betsy said...

I always carry out my trash, but my mom doesn't. Which is odd, considering how much she always nagged me about cleaning up after myself.

Jennifer said...

I carry it out. My husband still makes fun of me at sporting events, because I'm the one hauling four cups, an empty nachos basket, a bag of popcorn, a diaper bag and two kids. I just can't get used to the idea of purposely leaving trash under the seat!