Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Ode to Cowley

I always leave my hometown a bit nostalgic and sad. My roots there are deep and profound, and I am amazed how such a small and insignificant place has formed the blueprint of my character. That little town with its odd and delightful people is etched all over my values, my moral integrity, and soul. I love so many things about my childhood home, and yet, as my adult self, I'm conflicted about it, too. I know I wouldn't choose to live there now. It's too remote for me. I'd miss too many things to which I have grown accustomed. Yet, at the same time, it's one of the things that made growing up there special and unique. How can the longing for adventure and the longing for home both be satisfied? Of course they can not, which I have always known. But I suppose there is always a sadness in flying from the nest.

As an ode to Cowley, here is a list of some of the things I love most about it.

1. Laughter and storytelling are a tradition.
2. As the sun sets, it casts a glorious glow right down main street.
3. The simple goodness of most of its residents.
4. People's character traits are attributed to the family origin, as in "Oh, that's the Lewis in her."
5. Cowleyisms, such as "Dan Baird'n down the hill." (Don't worry. No one outside of Cowley will understand it.)
6. The nicknames of some of its older male residents. Gump, Tookie, Rud...Until recently I thought these were their given names.
7. The town is known for its musical ability.
8. Growing up there has made it impossible for me to be uppity about anything. Playing in open ditches, floating down the canal, dirt roads, and having one TV channel keeps things real.
9. People know you AND your family tree.
10. Being a part of a small town has given me a forever appreciation for the sense of community.

Thank you Cowley.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

It sounds so quaint. I love it! Thanks for sharing1

Debbie said...

How big is cowley Laurel?
It sounds a bit like where I grew up in Logan..But I think Logan may be a bit bigger..
It was so great to grow up there..and I love to go back and visit..but I don't think I could ever go back and live there now..
Sounds like a great place.:)
DEBBIE

Laurel said...

Debbie,

Let's just say this...when growing up in Cowley, I would have considered Logan a big city. Cowley's population was 455. Now it is 560, a growing metropolis. In fact the Jack (the post office guy) said he was going to have to move because he had to wait for 3 cars to pass until he could pull onto main street. I think he was kiding...kind of.

Debbie said...

OH my goodness! Now thats small!!
Logan is about 50,000 people...:)
I thought that was a small town!
Fun places to grow up..:)
Hey..You guys need to come boating with us sometime!
DEBBIE

Laurel said...

Debbie, we would love that!!! Anytime, count us in!

Laurel said...

I just read my response to Debbie, and it's not supposed to be "the Jack" which sounds a bit derogatory, but "Jack" which is his name. LOL