Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Let's Giver Her Something to Blog About

Yesterday was a sort of blogless day. I mean I wondered what in the world I could write about because nothing really interesting happened. That is until Family Home Evening.

Now for my non-LDS friends out there--a quick explanation. We Mormons are encouraged to keep Monday nights reserved for our families. We do fun activities together, have a lesson, eat treats, that sort of thing. I think it is a great idea-LDS or not. It's good for our family, and in theory, this evening should be delightful. Sometimes it is. Other times, like last night for instance, it is a disaster.

First, Logan came home from school yesterday thinking that she was 13. I don't know what happened to the sweet girl that left my house in the morning, but she was replaced by a back-talking, moody little thing, and by 7 pm I was on my last nerve with her! Added to that, Griffin was clearly tired and grouchy, and as usual not wanting to sit still at all. I could tell we were in for it. So the FHE Masterplan was get in, get out, and get it done, and it was working until about halfway through.

We'd had a song, said the prayer, and Logan insisted on giving a short "lesson" about love and family (oh, the irony!) and Mr. Wicke and I were just getting to our part about chores and the new plan for the school year (yes, this is the brainwashing portion of FHE) when all of a sudden Griffin, who is seated on his Dad's lap yells, "Stop holding my neck!"

Daddy responds, "I'm not holding your neck."

"Yes you are because my neck is hurting!"

The rest of us are all a bit confused until he suddenly grabs his mouth and begins spewing vomit.

Well, FHE over! Now I am on carpet clean up, Logan is ordered just to stay back, and Mr. Wicke is on kid clean up. But my favorite part of the evening came when Mr. Wicke asks from the other room, "Do you think I should put him in the bath?"

Well, give me a minute. Let's see...he's covered in vomit...hmmm...yeah, why not?"

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is a Family Home Evening worth blogging about.

7 comments:

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

that is SO Shane "should I put him in the bath?" No, just put new clothes on him..infact, never mind, just wipe off the puke and he will be great. DUH!

Madame Queen said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for you! I know exactly what you're talking about, though. My husband always just stands there like "What should I do?" Every time I say "Go get a cold wet washcloth". EVERY time it's the same and EVERY time he just stands there. He's hoping nobody else gets it!

Madame Queen said...

I MEANT to say, "Here's hoping no one else gets it".

Amber said...

I love those moments! I love more that our husbands act confused in those moments. I am happy that you felt this was blog worthy, it gives me pleasure that others out there had some sort of entertainment for family night. Alas, another one of those times that we prove obedience but wonder what are we getting from this??? One day, we shall see! Or else...

Melissa said...

Good times...good times.

Kate said...

That is funny! (ofcourse after the fact!) When there is throw-up involved Josh turns into a child himself- and starts gagging like I have to take over... the other night while I was changing AJ's diaper in the other room- he was yelling to me that Samuel was throwing up- and I was like, what do you want me to do about it- take a chill pill, dude!

Madame Queen said...

I don't know if you'll see this or not, but I hope everythign's okay. You haven't blogged in a while and the last we heard from you was that Griffin was sick.