Friday, August 10, 2007

Testing my "Patients"

Logan is sick. That's right. Two days of school, and she has already contracted a virus of some kind. I knew before she did. She was tossing, turning, and whining in her sleep all night. In my bed. I need a nap.

This morning, before I got the Motrin in her, she cried and cried because her throat was "really hurting."

I finally had to respond, "I know, honey. But you can not cry all day long. Sometimes we get sick, but you are going to get better, I promise." I was very calm and soothing. Imagine new-agey music with subtle ocean sounds behind it--that was me. I rubbed her belly and made comforting shhing sounds and felt like one terrific mother.

That is until she said, "I know you are trying to help, but it's not working."

Amazing! Even when she's under the weather, she still has the ability to take the wind right out of my mommy sails. Mothering is not for the weak.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

You said it! It is so hard when they get sick. By the way, all my kids passed around the sore throat thing like the day before school started. Bummer. Hang in there!

Rochelleht said...

Ha ha! I blogged about something similar to this the other day. My 4 year old told me I wasn't pretty, but she still loved me. Ah! Good thing I love myself. Who needs ya, 4 year old?