Sunday, August 26, 2007

I'm No Gym Rat

Mesa has not been kind to my waistline. I hesitate to even write this out loud because I have made a commitment not to engage in "fat talk," which according to a recent news article is one of the first topics of conversation when women get together. I have vowed not to give into that social pressure needlessly.

However, that said, this isn't just fat talk. It is my truth right now. A sizeable portion of my day is dedicated to whittling away the waistline. That's right: I'm back at the gym after a couple of deliriously happy, exercise free, summer months. I know I should feel guilty writing that. "But what about those endorphins?" "Doesn't exercise make you feel great?" "Don't you always feel better when you're exercising?"

Maybe. But the real truth for me is that I find it a pain in the butt. It just takes a lot of time, and I've got a lot to do. The extra hour devoted to sweating gives rise to another hour devoted to clean up, hair, makeup, then add the travel time to and from the gym, and the minutes it takes to get little Griff checked in and out of child care...well, it just adds up. And I find myself thinking the whole time about the other things that need to get done.

But I'm doing it. And I have been inspired by the 78-year old woman in my body sculpting class. I LOVE her! This class kicks my butt by the way and a lot of younger, more in shape derrieres as well, so I give her all kinds of credit. I talked to her after class one day, and she said, "My friends think I'm crazy, but I told them if God's let me live a long life, I want to take care of myself." I want to be like her when I grow up.

...Crap! That's a lot of hours at the gym.

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Hooray for starting the workout thing...I cannot wait until baby girl shows up so I can start up again-maybe-(actually Im halfway enjoying the pregnancy excuse to be honest..)-thanks for the comments btw...too bad about the sliced cheese :).

Madame Queen said...

Oh, I feel so guilty. I have a gym membership that's deducted from my paycheck every month adn I've only been once! I'm just so exhausted by the end of the day that the thought of getting in the car and driving to the gym is the LAST thing I want to do.

Debbie said...

I'm with you Laurel!
I didn't even sign up at the gym so your one step ahead of me!
I do walk every morning at 6am so that helps some!
One day I will actually sign up!
DEBBIE

Tip Junkie said...

Good job getting motivated!

Melissa said...

You better keep coming. I find pleasure in lookin over at you and see that you're in pain too!

Amber said...

I actually love excersize, it is just, I also LOVE to eat. So I pretty much cancel the excersize out, but I am sure its helping somewhere. I would say change it up and run outside one or two days a week but you may die of heat stroke there, what about getting a stationary bike for the home, I LOVE mine and it helps with the time waster issue.
Good Luck