Tuesday, October 14, 2008

When a Hobby Turns Ugly

I am drowning. That's right. Over my head in pictures and memorabilia that needs to be organized. Scrapbooked. Dare I say it aloud? It's a word I have been avoiding. Somewhere around 2003 I fell apart. Before then, I was up to date. I did cute little pages; I had scrapbook supplies; I was even known to peruse the pages of scrapbooking magazines.

Then Logan began to be mobile and before I knew it Griffin came along, and then there were the years of opposing nap schedules, and two in diapers, and double the messes. Then came school and soccor and t-ball...And I became too busy living my life to document it. You know what I mean? And perhaps that's not such a bad thing, except there are too many moments I don't want to forget. Those pudgy cheeks, snuggles and hugs, firsts of all kinds. And forget them I will. This short term human brain of mine can't seem to hold the magic of yesterday for long, and before I knew it I found myself seven years behind. Seven?! Digital photos in files on the computer. Older processed photos in three large boxes in the closet. They may have been out of sight, but they certainly weren't out of mind. It was a ball and chain I tell you.

A year ago, I made a solemn oath and covenant to myself to catch up. At least get rid of the boxes. So I started. And then I took a long break. And then yesterday I thought I had finished--at least with the old processed photos. I slipped the last page into its sheet protector, shut the big black binder, and places it on the shelf next to its predecessors.

"Let's see...2001, 2002...2004. Wait. 2001. 2002. 2004?! Where's 2003???" And so it was that I found myself wading back into the boxes and discovering the lost year of photos. Organizing them and recalling when events happened took most of the day, and destroyed at least two rooms. Seriously. My bedroom looks like the remains of some kind of paperwork whirlwind. But now we are at least ready to put pictures to paper.

And it's not going to be cute, people. No. Long gone are the pages that are embellished and a showpiece. We are going after function only. We are looking to just get the job done! It's white cardstock and a black fine sharpie for me. That's all the decoration these babies are going to get. But they are going to be done. Finally. And I feel really good about it.

Until I realize that then I'll only be 4 years behind. Ugh.

8 comments:

The Kriloff Klan said...

You are better than I my friend! I have everything done all the way up until we announced Jackson's pregnancy!?! Hello 9.5 YEARS ago! I think that we should just shoot the horse & put it out of it's misery!

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh, I hear ya! Ever since I started blogging, I've not scrapped once. Woops! Oh well. I MIGHT keep it up. If not, I've got my blog. We'll see.

Stephanie said...

and after you get caught up on that last year...GO DIGITAL! I've been an avid scrapbooker for almost 20 years and even sold scrapbooking supplies for many years! this past spring, I made a digital book of our old neighborhood when we moved...and I was hooked! all my supplies right on my laptop! soo easy and fast! and the books are like coffee table books when you're finished!

Chelle! said...

I have to admit...you do not know me and I can not for the life of me remember how I came upon your blog many many months ago. But, yes, I admit I do stalk your blog. I love the way you write and have laughed a lot during some of your stories. It is great. But, today, when I read your blog, I wanted to share something that I heard tonight. I am in the Stake YW presidency and we had the privilege of attending a ward's Young Women In Excellence program tonight. They had an amazing speaker and she spoke on goals. She talked a lot on 15 minute goals. Awhile back, she decided that she would work 15 minutes each day on particular goals. So, one thing that she started to work on was scrapbooking. She took 15 minutes a day and scrapbooked. She talked about how amazing and how much she was able to accomplish in 15 minutes.

Okay, you are probably thinking, I am crazy for sharing, but somehow--I thought that I should share it with you!

Deanna said...

Last year, I too, decided I was going to get 'caught up' on scrapbooking. I resorted to putting the pictures albums that hold the 4x6 pictures. My decoration...if you want to call it that consisted of making 4x6 'tags' and placing them as 'headers' for my pictures. Like you said ...they may not be specatcular or beautiful...but my kids love to look through them. And after all, isn't that why we do it?!?!

Aubrey said...

You finished all your pictures in a year?! Wow. That's fabulous. Do you care to show how you did them? I need ideas to cram pictures into books FAST because, um, I have a. LOT. of. crap. to. document. You don't want to know, and don't get me started on my mom, who I need to get copies from. Can we say, attempting the impossible?

Elisa said...

My 3rd child only has 5 pages done... She feels bad. I feel bad. So what do I do?
I blog.
I haven't scrapbooked a stitch since I started blogging. I guess I am hoping that the blogging will suffice for now.

Casey said...

I've started doing it all digitally and that is much easier and no mess. I LOVE it. But I don have totes of stuff that needs to be scrapped and I hate those totes. I'll say hate to assure you that you're not the only one. And I hate Halloween costumes too.