Friday, October 17, 2008

Like Barbara Streisand Once Sang: The Best Gift I Ever Got, Really Didn't Weigh a Lot...

Yesterday I turned 38. I celebrated by attending a parent/teacher conference and then a doctor's appointment. Yes. I know how to get CAH-RAZY! But there are things that need to be done despite my grand entrance into the world. And as it turns out, my doctor made my day.

First he said, "Blood pressure looks good, your bloodwork came back looking good...let's see, looks like you've gained some weight this month, but nothing to be concerned about..." My heart began to melt a little bit right there. Any man who can ignore 5 lbs in a month wins just a piece of my heart.

And then, when I laid my vulnerability in front of him by saying, "You know, I turned 38 today, and I'm just feeling a little old to be doing this..."

He said, "Oh. That's just a number. It's more about how healthy you are, how well you've taken care of yourself, and it looks like you've done a really good job."

That's when it happened. I fell in love with him a tiny bit. Not enough to give Mr. Wicke any kind of competition. No. Nothing like that. But I'll admit he sure does know how to sweet-talk a girl, and I will go to my grave saying that Dr. Huish is the best doctor in the world.

10 comments:

Shana said...

Happy Birthday my dear! And if you ask me, you don't look a day older than 25.
I love ya!

Aubrey said...

Happy Birthday!!
I would NEVER have guessed you're 38. Seriously.

I have doctor that I will go to my grave hating because she came in (during my 9th month) and said incredulously, "Did you really gain ten pounds in a week?!"
Yeah, witch. Luckily, she wasn't my regular doctor. I hope when she has kids someone says that to HER.

Kate said...

Happy Birthday! Just ask Josh- he always says if I leave him it will be because I ran off with my ob! I love him! He is the absolute best... (next to my husband of course!)

Kyle said...

Happy Late Birthday!

Lauren said...

Happy birthday! I'm sorry that I didn't know sooner. :( Hey, we can't decide if Cafe Rio or Costa Vida is better? We're going tonight. Want to come? Call me!

Lisa-Marie said...

Happy Happy birthday to you!!!!

So glad the day was great. Isn't it funny how the little things are what really make us happy?!?!!? (Though I wouldn't reject diamonds or anything.)

Pargs said...

As Katie said, her Dr. Terry is the apple of her eye and every one of his lady patients! He says the same sweet things to his patients (although I am sure your ob just says those nice things to YOU). It's great when you find a great doctor.

Pargs said...

P.S. Happy Birthday!! Did you get our message???? We sure do love you!! Who does it sound like I have been hanging around with???? By the way...although the NAME says "Pargs"...this here is MEGAN!

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday!! :)

Isn't Dr. Huish a dream? He always made me feel like I was his favorite patient.

And then at the end of my pregnancy when I had a total meltdown fit in his lobby because he couldn't get my induction scheduled any sooner, he didn't hold it against me one bit! ;p

He's very forgiving, too. Thankfully!

Sara said...

I'm a Huish fan, too!

Happy Birthday!