Monday, February 15, 2010

Dear Man at the Movie Theater who Uses Waaaay too Much Cologne:

I smelled you before I turned the corner.  Really, I did.  I know I did because I thought to myself, "Who poured on the cologne tonight???"  When I can smell you before I see you...it is too much cologne.

Then, imagine my horror to find that you had plopped yourself in front of our seats while I was out getting popcorn.  I actually said, "Unbelievable!" under my breath.  When sitting behind you causes another soul to exclaim derogatorily...it is too much cologne.

I knew I was not alone when those people in front of you, who had sat down only moments before, found somewhere else to sit.  They too thought it was too much cologne.  If only there had been three adjoining seats left in the theater, I would have moved as well.  It's not you; it's your cologne.  That's how you know it's waaay too much.  But there are other hints:

When I feel I could not smell you any better if I had my nose pressed to the skin of your neck...it is too much cologne.

When I watch most of the movie with a napkin to my nose...it is too much cologne.

When, after nearly two hours, the smell has not yet disappaited...it is too much cologne.

When, everytime I need to get something out of my purse causing me to lean forward, I hold my breath...that is too much cologne!

When I leave the theater slightly nauseus, and it's not just all the popcorn I ate...that is too much cologne!

When I get home and actually smell myself to see if I picked up your scent, fully expecting I had...that is too much cologne.

I am sorry that I had not the courage or the lung capacity to tell this to you in person.  Someone needs to.  Is there a woman in your life that will tell you the truth?  I hope so, for all of Mesa and for the other region in which you probably live the rest of the year.  Heck, maybe for all of America.  Less is more, my brother!  I will never forget you...and I may never recover my sense of smell.

Regretfully yours,  (really, really regretfully)
Laurel

9 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh dear! Too funny, but I'm SO SORRY. LOL.

Stacey said...

You have such a way with words!! YUCK, though!! I am sorry you had to sit behind him!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

So sorry, lol! Did you have a headache as well?

Debbie said...

Too much is cologne is bad, but I do believe it is just as bad as body odor. I once spent a movie just tow rows behind a man who would only flinch and the waft of smell would cause me to slightly dry-heave at my seat. EEwww.
Too bad there aren't smell detectors at the theaters

Shana said...

I HAVE BEEN THERE BEFORE!
We missed you being at the wedding. XOXO!!

Rochelleht said...

LOL!!! That is hilarious. Wow! I can't believe you had to suffer that whole movie. It's not like you get out all that often. What a bummer.

Kaylin said...

Overdoses in the cologne department aren't uncommon at my school. There have been times that I have walked through a hallway with bated breath because someone MUST have shattered a bottle somewhere.

Out of curiosity, what movie was it?

xxohugsoxx

Kyle said...

Oh gross...but that is super funny!

Randy and Ashley said...

That is the worst! What I think is even worse yet though is people who seem to have smoked a pack and a half of cigarettes and then tried to cover it up with cologne/perfume right before they come into the store. Holding your breath while trying to talk to someone is not fun...and then trying to turn your head to take a breath without making it obvious...even worse!! HAHA :D