Sunday, February 21, 2010

"The Worst Valentine's Day EVER!!!"

That's right.  It's not just roses and paper doilies around here, try as I might.  Sometimes...okay...many times we have tantrums and tragedies of all kinds of proportion.  They even happen amidst the Valentine magic I tried to muster.

Here's how it went down.  Friday:  Prepare New Annual Valentine's Day Family Dinner?  Check.  Saturday Night:  Write children a Valentine card and place it next to their bed so they see it first thing in the morning?  Check.  Sunday Night:  Break up a fight between the children and send them to bed crying?  Check.  "Worst Valentine's Day EVER" accomplished.  Triple check.

I didn't want to make them cry.  I didn't want them to fight in the first place.  I just wanted them to go upstairs and brush their teeth quietly, without waking the baby.  (Yes.  I have a dream.)  That's what I wanted; it didn't happen.  I also wanted Logan to apologize to her brother for teasing and taunting him.  That didn't happen, either.  So what did happen was that they were sent straight to bed without a story.  Things went downhill from there.

Logan (sobbing, to her father):  Isn't there anything I can do to make Mommy read to me?

Mr. Wicke:  No.  That chance is past.

Logan:  But there's GOT to be a way.  There's ALWAYS a way!!

Mr. Wicke:  No...sometimes there are consequences when we choose--

Logan:  But I didn't choose the consequence!!

This went on for a while.  Finally, I showed some mercy; that, or I finally had calmed down enough not to want to wring her neck and went in to her.  She continued to sob.

Logan:  Mommy.  I said I was sorry.  Can't you read to me.

Me:  No...I told you that was the consequence.

Logan:  But it's not fair to Griffin.  I'm just so worried because he didn't get a story because of me!!!  (Isn't she smart?)

Me:  I'll tell you what.  I can't read to you, but I can sing a song.  You each pick your favorite, and I'll sing it to you and snuggle you.

Logan:  I can't!  (Highly dramatic flair inserted here.)  I'm just, just-- OVERWHELMED WITH ANGER!
Why did this have to happen on Valentine's?  I was hoping for such a good day.  This is the WORST Valentine's EVER!!!    (More sobbing ensues.)

Did I mention she's 8?  In these moments my brain fast forwards to 13.  I'm frightened.  But, so it is with motherhood.  The pendulum swings between tragedy and ecstasy before you can even take a breath.  One moment you're a hero, the next a heel.  This parenting gig takes a calm head, thick skin, and faith:  Faith that tomorrow she will wake with a smile again; faith that their little memories are short in both directions; faith that, one day, they will grow out of it; and, most of all, faith that we will survive it, even "the worst Valentine's Day EVER!!!"

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, the drama! Just be glad you only have one girl. Bill is really excited for the teenage years in this house. I can see James at 15 all the time! And it is not going to be sunshine and daisies all the time.

Stacey said...

The 'fun' is only starting....with my 2 girls I have developed the skin of an iguana....it is a must have!! Those years will pass(I have 1 that is thru it, mind you she is in her 20's now) and she has apologized for her hormonal rants and raves....Enjoy it, because it goes quickly, even though it doesn't seem like it at the time!! :)

Rochelleht said...

Oh, isn't it the truth!? The pendulum does swing both ways. I really hate the tantrum side of it, but it seems to rear its ugly head multiple times a day 'round here.

Shana said...

I know it must have really sucked while you were going through it, but reading it back from your point of view later, HILARIOUS!
I'm only laughing because I am a little relieved to hear that I am not the only one with a daughter who is so overdramatic and too smart for her own good.
I pray every night that once Alyssa gets into her pre-teen years that we wont kill each other before she leaves for college.
I know I am in for it with her aleady! :)
A lady in church leaned over to me one day in sacrament meeting, and whispered in my ear, "Don't worry, I had one just like yours. It is good that she is that head strong, outgoing, and smart. You just have to steer her in the right direction with it. The world will need young people like her."
I have remembered that often as we have stuggled with her.
The world will need a strong young woman like her.