Thursday, February 11, 2010

Drowning My Sorrow at Treasure Island

Tonight was the night we were supposed to enjoy our new annual Family Valentine's Dinner.  Instead we are nursing two infected ears and a strep throat.  A clue, perhaps, for this new theory that there does exist a corresponding relationship between the upward trend of my mothering and the fledgling decline of my party girl instincts. 

I had big plans.  As I have only left the house for doctor visits, none of those plans have come to fruition.  I am disappointed.

To quell the ache, I bought the Classic Starts abridged version of Treasure Island.  We began reading last night.  My kids begged for more, and more, until the clock struck eight thirty and we had finished six chapters.  Griffin, unable to bear putting it away for the night struggled through a chapter on his own, not a small feat for a new reader, while I read a chapter from Harry Potter to Logan.  (We nearly have the answer to the Chamber of Secrets.  Even Billy Bones and a one legged pirate cannot trump that.)

And so, I lay to rest my dream of the birth of a new tradition in the Wicke household.  Well, not "lay is to rest" maybe, but certainly put it aside for now.  Doing that is ever so much easier while picking up a good book.  And now I'm off to snuggle under a warm blanket with my sick kiddos and travel to distant lands.  Goodbye for now, me hardies.

P.S.  If you are not familiar with the Classic Start series, check it out here.  I am a HUGE fan.

3 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I'm so sorry you have sick ones...what a bummer. Enjoy the books...they sound wonderful.

Ashlee said...

THanks for the tip about Classic Starts. I will keep my eye out for these in the future. I love your book recommendations and always follow your lead! Sick days are not fun - I hope your crew feels better quick. Also, I too understand the dilemma of throwing parties during this season of our lives...remember when we really were wonder women and could do gourmet club? My goal this year is to do one nice dinner just to prove to myself that I still have it.

Becky Christiansen said...

You know, you might be feeling bad about this new, lost tradition, but STOP. I don't know many families who take the time to read with their kids the way you do. Talk about a wonderful, memorable experience for ALL parties concerned. I was really good at it in the beginning of my kids' lives, but now we have busied ourselves with STUFF and don't take the time to enjoy books TOGETHER. I love it! You have inspired me (again). Know that with or without your Valentine's Dinner your family feels loved and cherished! Love you, Becky