Friday, February 19, 2010

Valentine Victory

I did it!  Despite the odds, I pulled off the  New-Annual Family Valentine's Dinner.  I was not showered or makeuped but a festive dinner was on the table.  The menu wasn't fancy, but it was the food my children would love and eat.  Meat, mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn are a big hit in this family.  I didn't create the banners, but I did buy a new runner and made my homemade Valentines.  As it turned out, this project was an exercise in letting some things go to let the bigger things be:  An appropriate analogy for most of my mothering, actually.

Treats I knew my kids would love:  Candy and Webkinz!

Ironically, I found the webkinz at CVS while I was waiting for their prescriptions to be filled.




The kids were soooo surprised!

But you just can't teach 'em table manners... "Um...you've got something right here."

The best part?  The next day when Logan said, "You know what you are really good at?"

"What?" I replied.

"Making us nice surprises."

"Well, that's my goal in life, to make you happy," I said.

"You know what the problem with your goal is?" she responded.  "You already accomplished it."

I don't always get it right, but this one was a win.

P.S.  And just so you know it's not all roses and paper doilies around here, later on I'll tell you what caused her to yell, "This is the worst Valentine's Day ever!"  Ah...the sweet ying and yang of motherhood.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Great surprise dinner!! And a wonderful compliment from Logan as well....you were a hi!! Your little man is getting soooo big. Precious kids!

Rochelleht said...

I can't believe how big Lincoln is! WOW!! So cute. Those are the moments that make the rest of the crap we do worth it.

Laurel said...

i want to be you when i "grow up" (nevermind I think you're younger than me)...even with the ying and yang.

i really really do.

Shana said...

SO cute! I think I will steal this idea from you for next year. I love it!
PS I can't believe how much Lincoln had grown up! When did that happen??