Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Letters

Dear Children,

Do you think you will remember yesterday afternoon when we danced in the family room?  We turned up Billy Joel really loudly, and then, all four of us holding hands, jumped up and down like maniacs for the full 3:20, giggling and laughing at Baby Lincoln's first rythmic attempts until I had to go to the bathroom before I wet my pants.  Do you think you will remember that?  Yeah.  Probably not.  But I want you to know that I will.  For the rest of my life.  Thank you, darlings, for providing the magic.

I love you.
Mom

Darling Lincoln,

Yesterday, as I left the supermarket with you on my hip and a grocery bag in my hand, I watched you watch the world.  Everything was new and fascinating to you.  The birds overhead, the breeze in your hair, the puddles after the rain, the people coming and going.  And as I watched you I felt that familiar swelling in my chest that always comes when I really see my children.  How blessed I am to be the one to introduce you to this earth.  What a privilege it is to be entrusted with your care.  I love being your mother, my darling boy, and I look forward to our adventures together.

I will always love you,
Your Mom

Dear Mr. Wicke,

The children and I had a really, lovely day today while you toiled away in your office. We ate outside on the patio, and then we brought out blankets and a pillow and laid them on the grass where we reclined in the sun... Well, some of us reclined. The baby crawled about mostly and Griffin was called away intermittently by mud and such. But, we stayed like that until we had finished Treasure Island and continued our adventures with Harry Potter. It was dreamy. Sometimes motherhood is hard, but then there are moments like this that is a treasure of the heart. I will remember it always.

Thank you for working so hard so that our children and I can create memories like this.

I adore you.
Your Mrs.

6 comments:

Leandra said...

Dang it, you made me cry. I guarantee your children will remember the dancing. And you perfectly captured that feeling I get in my chest when I realize what a gift my children are.

Ella said...

Beautiful!

Laurel said...

a.) Your kids are blessed.
b.) They WILL remember it.
c.) You make me want a Mr. Wicke.
d.) I promise to not want yours (grin)
e.) You are a tich older than me (according to fb) and for that, I thank you. And so now I CAN say I want to be you when I grow up.
f.) TOFW Phoenix Oct. 15-16. Be there.

Shana said...

So sweet. I love days like that when I am able to take the time to, as you put it, "really see my children." Those truly are magical moments I never want to forget.

PS Rob called me last night, said he got ahold of you. Said he was going to dinner at your house this Thursday while he is in Pheonix for work. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to have him over. It means a lot to me. I only wish I were there too! :)
I am SO excited that he will FINALLY meet the famous Mr Wicke!
I told him to play nice if you break out any games. Like Mr Wicke, he can be very competetive.
He can also get pretty heated when discussing politics and things around that nature.
Just so you are forewarned. :)

Britany said...

Sweet, sweet letters!

Jennifer said...

I can just picture it! How come you and I are so alike in so many ways? Billy Joel is also our "crank it up and boogie" music (sometimes I wonder, based upon the lyrics, if I'm introducing my kids to a little too much of the world!). Also, I've been composing a series of "letters" in my head for awhile that I was going to post on my blog. But, mine were mostly whiny, not beautiful and gracious like yours.

You are a beautiful mother, and your kids will remember the small moments, because they are special and filled with you!