Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Rediscovering My Inner Party Girl

I used to throw parties.  All kinds of parties.  Themed parties, birthday parties, parties just because it was summer, or fall, or President's Day.  But most of all I had parties that couldn't really be called parties; gatherings really; just because friends came by and just because I had a huge pot full of soup and soup can feed a lot of people.  And of course we couldn't get together without playing a game or two and laughing until we cried, and then it just felt like a party.

I don't do that now.  Mostly because it's hard to find a sitter, and mostly because I am tired all. of. the time.  And even making a big pot of soup seems like a chore. 

I'm not sure I like this new me.  I'm hoping it is just a phase.

And maybe it is, because just yesterday I was inspired by Bloom to do something festive for Valentine's Day.  While perusing their site, suddenly in my mind I saw a luncheon for my favorite girlfriends with pink and red banners and burgandy chargers with my dark pink toile plates.  I could serve girly food and make homemade valentines...

And then I thought...my kids would love a party like that.  It struck me that if I'm going to make such grandios plans, why not do it for my favorite people on the planet?  I want them to remember their childhood as full of fun surprises, and I don't want them to know that I'm tired  all. of. the time.  I want to be the fun mom.

So my days of party planning may not be over after all.  Perhaps my parties just got more intimate:  Like dinner on china plates, in the dining room with banners and homemade valentines.

5 comments:

Mark & Shayla said...

I am inspired. Thank you. I will strive harder to be the fun mom and not the tired all the time mom.

tawnya said...

I always wished (wanted to be!) the party throw-er, but I don't think I'm wired that way. But a festive dinner at home with my boys? That I could do. And it sounds fun...

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I love parties too. But no one else at this house does. Not sure why, they don't want to entertain anyone I guess. When I have RS parties, choir, anyone over, my gang goes to the basement. I look forward to seeing what you have planned.

Stacey said...

Sounds like a wonderful surprise!! Enjoy! Hope you post photos.

Leandra said...

Can I come too? It sounds like so much fun. And what a great idea!