Sunday, May 31, 2009

Owwie

If you are the kind of person who can't stand to hear someone complain, you might as well stop reading right now because I have a suspicion that there will be some complaining in this post. You see, the thing is, I hurt.

What started out as a strained muscle, or so I thought, has turned into what the orthopedist thinks might be a bulging disk and a pinched nerve. We won't know much until after the MRI and X-ray tomorrow. I just want an answer. No. What I really want is to feel better. Sometimes I hurt so bad that it makes me think long and hard on those people with chronic pain. With no end in sight, I can see why some would contemplate putting an end to themselves. I'm not saying I would, but I can understand turning those dark thoughts over every now and again. I pray I am never in such a condition. As it is I am having a difficult time controlling my temper. Pain makes me grouchy.

This has been going on for over a month now and just gets worse despite whatever efforts I've made to improve it. Stretching, massage therapy, chiropractics--nothing seems to help and sometimes I wonder if I'm merely aggravating it. Rest would probably be best, but how am I supposed to care for a baby without a lot of lifting? I saw a documentary once about a mother with no arms. She used her feet to do everything, but I bet that would take a lot of practice. I probably shouldn't try it with the baby right away.

To add insult to injury, I'm not sleeping well. For the last couple of weeks I have awakened every morning somewhere between 3:30 and 5:00 am with such tremendous pain that I've had to run for my meds. Then I've iced my neck and shoulder, waiting the half hour until they kick in. I'm not too proud to admit that on at least three occasions I have been reduced to tears during this period. I don't enjoy it. Mr. Wicke doesn't either, I am sure.

And don't get me started on the kiddos. They don't have a bit of empathy, but who can blame them? I sound like a worn out record. At the beginning of the pregnancy they heard, "Mommy doesn't feel well." Then during the last few months of the pregnancy it was "Mommy doesn't feel well." And then when I came home from the hospital "Mommy didn't feel well again." Then for the next few weeks mommy was just "so tired." And now this? I don't even think they remember when their mommy was fun and vibrant. Shoot. I don't remember the last time I felt vibrant.

See? I told you there would be some complaining. You're lucky it hurts to sit for very long.

9 comments:

Laurel said...

You poor thing! I can't imagine...I am so sorry. Good luck with the MRI I hope they find out what's wrong. I'll be thinking about you :)

Aubrey said...

I can see how people get addicted to prescription painkillers. I bet you'll be fun and vibrant again when your baby is 2. That's when I (the slow one) start feeling a little freedom and like I can do stuff again. Except then I blow it and have another baby. Not this time, though. I am so determined.

lletrad said...

I just want you to know that I understand and can completely relate to what you're going through right now and it is by far, hands down, one of the most miserable experiences ever. Earlier this year I had a sudden pain in my lower back and it immediately got worse to the point of it being painful to breathe. I could find no avenue for physical relief or comfort. It hurt to sit, stand, walk, bend, anything, but lay down flat on my back. And it lasted for two excrutiating months. I'm not the type to drug myself or go to a doctor, but this was bad enough I had no choice. After multiple chiropractic, OBGYN, primary care physician appointments, an x-ray, ultrasound, and MRI, it was determined I have 3 bulging discs and a tear in my lower back/spine. What, how, why, when???? Who knows! Physical therapy was recommended so I would know how to care for the problem for the rest of my life. Ironically, after about two months of severe pain and multiple tests/doctor visits, the pain went away. Every once in a while I feel it, but it's nothing in comparison. So as much as I'd love to have an answer for you, I just really hope and pray you can make it through this miserable time until the pain just goes away. Oh, and I am grateful to finally have an "answer," although it's no fun knowing it's something I'll just have to deal with for the rest of my life. Hang in there, it will get better, even if you don't currently see an end in sight.
And as a side note, I continue to enjoy reading your blog on a regular basis. I think you are truly an amazing person and your family is absolutely adorable!

Stacey said...

i am so sorry you have pain. I hope they figure out what is the cause and the easy solution. NOt fun for you and the baby and the kiddos, not to mention it is summer and the kids will be home....Good luck!

Shana said...

Oh Laurel! I hate that you feel so crappy! It is hard enough adjusting to a new baby schedule, keeping up with a house, and the other kids, church callings, etc...
You and I both know the list can just go on and on and on and on...
Add into all that that you hurt and it is just down right ugly! I know what you mean about being grouchy when in pain.
Today for example, I just got back from a very long and painful dentist appointment. I had two cracked back teeth. One on each side. They had to be crowned and I had to be shot in the mouth 7 times to get numb enough for them to drill on the back on of teeth. I was in the chair for 2 hours!YUCK!
I am now lying on my bed trying to rest a little while the girls are napping because my mouth hurts so badly and my head hurts so badly that I can hardly keep my eyes open. How am I supposed to care and enertain two little girls? YIKES! Needless to say, I am counting the hours until Rob comes home to save the day.
So even if your kiddos don't seem to have much empathy for your pain-I DO! I'm sorry you feel poorly and I hope you get some answers tomorrow so you can know what to do to fix them and get better ASAP!
Hugs and kisses!

Lisa-Marie said...

Ugh. I am sending some love through the screen right now. I hope you can feel it.

Please keep us posted as to what you find out.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Kate said...

I am going through something similiar right now! I am getting xrays on wed... and I know what you mean about wanting to die... literally! And like your friend said- I know why people get addicted to pain killers- I have decided not to go that route yet,,, (just advil for me) but I wonder if it would make me feel better! Good luck...

Jennifer said...

Even in pain you are vibrant. I've never met your match!

I will keep you in my prayers. I know you don't have a lot of time on your hands right now - but have you considered acupunture as pain management? I've had really good luck with it for chronic pain.

Audrey said...

Oh Lady, unfortunately, I can EMPATHIZE. I sprained my low back last year. Uuurgh! It was such a pain...and still can be. Hope it is not a bulging disk..but their are some new methods for treating. My only advice on the chiropractic is, have you tried an Applied Kinisiologist? They are the best. Also, Acupuncture really helped me through a bad injury in college. You need rest lady. And though the lifting is not limited with a new one, the best baby carrier I have is my Beco Baby Carrier. Google it. Very supportive for when baby must be held (doesn't face out, but that is okay-Phoebe loved to face me or be on my back!) I will pray for you. Hope you feel better soon!!!