Monday, May 18, 2009

Master Wicke

Last night, while I was talking to my mom on the phone, she casually mentioned that she had checked my blog that day to see "if she had missed anything" but found that nothing new had been posted for a while. It's true. While I have composed nearly 102 posts in my head, nothing has reached paper, and I'm blaming it all on the new master of the house.

I can't call him my boss because that suggests some sort of financial reimbursement for my troubles, but, to be sure, he is bossy. He insists on being fed very often during the day and is in no rush to complete the job. Then there is the rocking, cuddling, and cajoling that I do to try to get him to sleep, but that is to little avail. Just moments after putting him down, he seems to be begging to be held again. And of course there is the diapering, the bathing, the powdering, the lotioning, and the dressing, most of which can occupy a full morning. Mr. Wicke and I both have commented that we had forgotten how much time a new little baby takes.

Not that I mind. Not even the sleepless days, for he is sleeping so soundly at night that I might have been caught more than once checking to be sure he is still breathing. As I told my mom, I can deal with the days as long as I am well rested.

Overall, he is a delightful baby who is beginning to coo and whose smiles continue to turn me into a puddle of mommy goo. However, he doesn't seem to care a whit about the things that need to be accomplished around here. And to tell you the truth, his opinion is rubbing off on me. There is nothing I'd rather do than sit and rock my baby in all his bossy glory.

16 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh my, Laurel! He is SO YUMMY! SO SO SO cute! I love his hair. He is adorable. Glad that you're adjusting. :)

Audrey said...

My "baby" fell asleep in my arms the other night. Only now, she is no longer an arms length. Her head hangs clear over there...and her feet way down there. My how fast they grow. Oh, and the wanting to be held constantly ...welcome to a breast-fed baby. They just want to be near them...all the time! Even when they stop nursing (Phoebe still has quite the affection for "booey"). I have to say that I am jealous that he is already sleeping so well at night. So glad to hear you are all so content!

Stacey said...

Laurel...he is so precious!! Enjoy all the snuggles and rocking...it goes away sooo fast and then they grow up and it is sad!! You are blessed!

Rochelleht said...

Seriously, he is to DIE for! I'm still so super happy for you.

The Leithead Family said...

I'm with Master Wicke...you should just forget all the stuff that "needs to be done" and hold him and love him and enjoy his adorable littleness!!

Susan said...

He is a darling baby Laurel. I'd like to pick him up from that picture and snuggle him myself. Enjoy these days, they grow up much too fast.

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

He is soooo CUTE!!!!! I love his hair too. Enjoy the cuddle time.

desert mom said...

A perfect precious little one. I'm so glad he's a part of your family. Cute picture!!!
Love to All

Shana said...

Little Lincoln is growing so fast! I can tell in just that one picture and that little smirky grin that he is gaining his own personality. I hate how fast babies grow into toddlers. I want them to stay smaller longer.
I agree with you-if your baby wants you to sit and hold him. Give in and sit and hold him. The laundry will be there tomorrow. Sadly, he wont be at this stage again.

Stephanie said...

so stinkin' babylicious!!

Anonymous said...

How cute is he! If we make it over to the east valley tonight we're stopping by to eat him up!!

Aubrey said...

He's so stinking cute, I don't think you'll ever be able to resist holding him all the time anyway, right?

Debbie said...

"Puddle of Mommy goo"
LOVE IT!!

Who cares who the boss is right?
Enjoy to your hearts content!

The Saggau House said...

That is one cute little dude! And, trust me, there is no return investment for spending years cleaning the house. Cuddle that baby!!!

Anonymous said...

He is such a cutie! Absolutely adorable. Mine is 3 and he's still the boss. ;)

Leandra said...

He is TOOO precious!