Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A "Rewarding" Experience


Yesterday, Mr. Wicke and I were invited to attend Griffin's school assembly where the little man received a student of the month award. We were very proud of him as his teacher said that "Griffin comes to class each day with a smile on his face. He works hard to learn his lessons and is making good progress. He has made several new friends this year with his kindness." We were especially thrilled considering that when every evening at the dinner table we ask the kids how their days went he always replies, "Bad." If we believed him we would think he hadn't had one good day the entire year. We don't, but it is nice to have proof.

The fact is, as a parent, I don't really know how my children behave out of my presence. We try to train them with some sense of responsibility and respect, but all I can do is hope they apply it when I'm too far away to insist on it. Much of what goes on at school is a mystery. Like when we were leaving, Griffin confessed out of the blue, "I had to go to the nurse when I threw up."

"You threw up at at school?"

"Yeah. A little on the carpet."

"And they didn't send you home?"

"Well, I put my finger in my mouth to scratch those...what do you call 'em?"

"Uh..."

"You know. Those taster things."

"Tastebuds?"

"Yeah! I was trying to scratch my tastebuds and then I just threw up a little."

Two things I learned from this conversation: 1) I never, ever want to teach kindergarten, and 2) I am grateful to teachers who do and who can look past my kid's gag reflex to still see all of his good qualities. Thank you, Mrs. Nichols.




As a side note: It was a day of firsts. Griffin's first "reward" as he called it, and my first public milk leakage. Being at the school by 8:05 am disrupted our morning routine. Apparently you can't throw your breasts a curve ball like that. They will revolt. Gratefully I had the baby to use as a human shield, and no one was able to detect it.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Way to go Grif! That is hilarious that he always says he had a bad day. I never leaked with the first two, so imagine my surprise when I noticed two circles on my shirt one day. Luckily it was before I had left the house. It is a whole new ball game!

Stacey said...

Congrats Griffin! (and you too, mama....those leaks happen) :) How wonderful you were there to share with him.

The Saggau House said...

Yay, Griffin! Great job!

And, Laurel, I am loving your hair!

Lisa-Marie said...

What a riot that Griffin is. Just scratching his taste buds! Too cute.

What a compliment his teacher gave him. Sweet.

I love your curls. (Mine is all gone. Sigh of relief!)

After I had Sirri, I taught a few days a week until they could finally get a replacement for the new year. On my very first day back I was walking down the hall to lunch and realized I was soaking wet. I had to call my sister who was here for college to bring me a new shirt. Good thing she was fast. I don't think I could have hid it from high schoolers very well. That would have been trauma for me AND them!

Betsy said...

Wow, Laurel! Check out that super sparkly rock on your finger in that first picture. You go, girl!

Becky Christiansen said...

He is such a beautiful child! You all look and sound amazing. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Yahoo Grif! Way to go.

Anonymous said...

oh and how awesome the zoo was. I wish I could have been there to see the "live" animals.