Thursday, May 7, 2009

Talking "Boy" on Mother's Day

It is coming up on one of my favorite days of the year. You know why? I don't do any of the cooking or cleaning up, and I don't even feel guilty about it. One totally guilt-free day? Heaven. I can see why a couple of years ago Logan, in exasperation, asked, "When is it going to be sister day?" What I thought, but didn't say out loud is, "Are you kidding me? It's sister day every day of the year! Give me your life, I beg you!" Like I said I just thought it because I am supposed to be the adult around here, but I would love for someone to tell me to go take a nap. You know? It's true: Youth is wasted on the young.

But I digress. This is supposed to be about why I love Mother's day. In addition to being relatively self-indulgent and guilt free, I also get terrific cards, gifts, and pictures from my kiddos. Like the one I got today:



I'll admit, at first glance it's a little tough to take. "90 years old?! I guess that eye cream isn't working," I can't help but think. "And c'mon! I don't go to Taco Bell all that often, do I? Do I?" Hmm...so much for guilt free.

Then, when I ask Griffin to tell me about the picture he says, "It me and you. Boxing. And you're winning."

"Oh, wow...We're...boxing? And I'm winning?" Seems a bit violent. Would Freud say there is some underlying aggression in our relationship, I wonder? Maybe this whole card thing isn't so great after all.

Then he interrupts my indulgent self-analysis with, "Yeah, I'm letting you win 'cause I love you."

Oh. That's right. I have to remember to speak boy. It's a totally different language. Like when I wonder how I can possibly thank him, all I have to do is look at the last line. In boy-speak it's all about the belly. Food equals love. Definitely a boy thing.

With that in mind, I just have to read between the lines. Ah, there it is: He's nuts about me. Man, I love this holiday!

10 comments:

Rochelleht said...

You are such a doll. LOVE that post. So cute. My kids always say Taco Bell is my favorite on those things, too. And they are right. But I haven't had fast food in 12 weeks. I rock. I'm just sayin'. It's Mother's Day. I can.

Lisa-Marie said...

Too funny. And smart. Even with big boys we have to learn to read between the lines. That can be a tough lesson to learn!

mother of seven said...

Its like reading a really good book everytime I peek into your life!!!!!

Taco Belch is one of our family favs as well.......:)

Lains said...

Alright. I haven't been on here for forever, but I'm so glad I did tonight. This post is HILARIOUS! I'm sooooo tired, and yet I still laughed out loud. Taco Bell. ..you know I still blame you for my addiction to Taco Bell! The fighting. ..it's all to classic. You are so good at writing/blogging. Thanks for the good laugh tonight. Have a great day tomorrow!

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

That is fabulous. Kids are so honest and you are so blessed to have one of the most honest!

Happy Mothers Day to you!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I love that and wish that our ward had done that. After all that I sure hope that you had a great mother's day.

Ashlee said...

This is so funny and accurate. Have I told you lately how much I love and admire you? I do!

Justin said...

I tell Ashlee all the time that boys are "simple guy creatures." Case in point: Your post on anniversary gift of Thomas...easy and always acceptable. Food in the belly. Simple guy creatures. Basic needs...food and love. Forget the other mumbo jumbo. Happy mothers day (after the fact).

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

ha! so cute and so funny! some day you need to write a book, you are so entertaining...

k yea, Im also kissing up because I JUST SAW THAT I STILL HAVE YOUR BABY PRESENT!!!! really!! Good thing I bought I big size!! I guess I knew myself when i bought it!

So, I will still get it to you...maybe I should of bought a size 8..then i would get it to him before he gets baptized.

Anonymous said...

To cute! I posted the same sort of thing from my son. It really touched me how thoughtful he tried to be. I'm a sunflower because I'm sunny and bright.

I just love those questionairs.