Monday, May 4, 2009

Everything We Need (or don't) Available Now!

A couple of days ago, as I was bustling around the kitchen, I suddenly heard, "Mom! We need that!"

"What?"

"We need that. The Squeeze-It! It gets the last little bit of toothpaste out."

"Why do we need that?"

"Because, you know...You have to struggle to get the last little bit out. Now we don't."

Clearly, no one can live without the Squeeze-It. Imagine a life without struggling. Heaven.

The fact of the matter is that Griffin is the prime target of every advertising executive. He NEEDS whatever is promoted over the airwaves or believes I do at the least.

"Mom! Let's buy that. It kills bacteria!"

Griffin is new to commercials. Just recently he has graduated to Spongebob Squarepants on Nickelodeon. Leaving the relative innocence of Disney Channel and PBS has opened up a whole new world to him.

"Mom! If you buy that, it takes the stain away without even putting it in the washer!"

"No way!"

"Yes! It just...just...takes it away...like...whoosh!"

With his limited vocabulary it is difficult to convey the absolute miraculous wonders of whichever newfangled gizmo he is introduced to, but it is not beyond the boundaries of his body language. Wide eyes, wiggling eyebrows, multiple hand gestures and the breathless excitement in his voice really tell the story. It is ever so engaging and delightful that I just had to share it with Mr. Wicke.

"Hey, Griff. Tell Daddy what you saw on TV that we need."

"Uhhhh..." I couldn't believe he had forgotten the Squeeze-It so quickly. "Oh! You mean the tomato planter? Yeah, you can grow tomatoes hanging upside down and then you won't break your back!"

"Huh?"

"You know how when you bend over to pick tomatoes your back breaks?"

Nope. Not once...I suppose that's why I find it so funny. How we watch the same thing and have such different reactions. It leaves me wondering: At what point does one enter the world of adulthood and go from, "Oh, man! We need that!" to "Oh, brother! Who in the world needs that?!"

14 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

LOL, what a cute little man.
Oh...you should watch for the Bump-it's on TV. They look so cool. Natalie is begging me to order it;);)

Jamie said...

I can't tell you how close that hits to home. Max loves commercials more than the programs. He has recently changed his "I need that" to "Mom, I'll get you that." At one point he thought he really needed some lawn mower attachment for his birthday!

The Leithead Family said...

ha ha ha! sometimes those commercials get me too!! :) what a funny little kid!

Susan said...

Not five minutes before I logged onto the computer we were watching the commercial about the upside down tomato planter. Being the ever resourceful do-it-yourselfer, my husband said "I could make one of those". I wish he was more like Griffin and would just tell me to order one.

Jennifer said...

Oh, the info-mercials. Kirby loves them and can repeat them verbatim. He has also been completely taken in by the "Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter" (just 2 easy installments of 19.95!). Wants to get Stephen one for Father's Day. Fortunately, Home Depot sells a version of this for about $10.

It was when we left our safe haven of Disney and PBS last fall that we too lost the shelter of commercial-free viewing. And, it was those little heathen Siegfried children that showed my boys the world that was waiting beyond "6, 172 & 173" (as Kirby knew the Disney channels and PBS). I tease Shantel about this regularly!

Erin said...

That is hilarious because just yesterday Campbell told me we need the Squeeze it! My niece got to a point where she was taking notes from infomercials. And I heard that it is a new segment in debate team! Watch out Griff might have a great future ahead of him! Think Billy Mays.

Debbie said...

That is kennedy to a T..everything she see's on TV she needs! She is always telling me to "come quick, you gotta see this! It keeps your fruit fresh! "or whatever the commercial is! SOO funny...

Aubrey said...

My children have discovered Qubo. A channel with kid shows and adult commercials. Or so I thought. Obviously they know who to target. I have been asked if I want things, though, rather than been told we need them.

There was a strong petition for the toothpaste dispenser. A big ugly thing (that comes in attractive stainless steel for any decor!) you put on your wall, place the toothpaste in and then you stick your toothbrush in it and come out with the perfect dollop of toothpaste.

The problem is, we'd need three, due to our differing brushing needs, and I can only imagine the endless mom's-not-watching fun.

Pam said...

My two oldest kids take after Thane and think all things advertised are a rip-off and a waste of money. Jonah however is like Griffin and gets a little confused with needs vs. wants. I think he is secretly hoping for some magical candy machine to be advertised at some point so that he can buy it with his own money and fulfill his sugar fantasies....

Hamilton Family said...

My kids want the "snugli"! As if a heater and fireplace doesn't keep them warm enough. BUT, the older kids stop the younger ones before they can even relay the cool commercial to me by saying "if it's not on clearance, Mom's not going to buy it!" It's funny to hear them justify one with another "why" they need it and "why" Mom won't buy it!

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

The snugie is hilarious. A coworker of mine actually bought the exact same on at Target for $15. Commercials are hilarious. Griffin is a true Wicke! Does he take after his grandpa Wicke or his dad at all when it comes to being self employed! I'm referring to the white van story :o)

Leandra said...

He sounds just like Oliver! He wants one of everything. And he just KNOWS he's going to win the $10,000 gift card inside the box of gogurt!

Caroline is currently pining after the toothpaste thing that automatically squirts toothpaste on your toothbrush. I can't think of the name of it, but I'm sure Caroline could tell you!

Leandra said...

Oh, and just the other day Oliver was telling us about the Topsy "Turdy" Tomato planter. My husband and I nearly died laughing!

mother of seven said...

ok first of all all my kids want that tooth paste thingy!!!! Kelsey old me all about it...


And second... I almost bought that tomatoe topsy turvey!!!!!
But I decided to plant them in the ground instead!!!! ONLY because my trees are not big enough to give it a try!!!!

HA!!!!