Friday, March 28, 2008

What Does My Garden Grow?

A couple of people asked what I am planting in my garden. Before I give the answer, I should tell you that, while we have planted a garden almost every year of our 14 years of marriage, I am no expert. Especially here in the desert. Gardening in Arizona is a whole different ballgame, but we're figuring it out slowly but surely.

This year we are planting 7 tomato plants, because there is nothing better than fresh tomatoes. Nothing. Except maybe fresh salsa. Therefore, we also planted 2 tomatillos, a couple of Anaheim peppers, and cilantro.

After my love affair with tomatoes comes cucumbers. Cucumbers in summer make me giddy and my heart beat faster. If you have not had cucumbers fresh out of the garden sprinkled with red wine vinegar, you have not lived. If you are one of that sad lot, you are invited to my house for dinner this summer. Please, let me help you to live.

Then, of course, we must always plant two zucchini, and here's why. Well, I like zucchini, and I'm slowly converting Mr. Wicke, I think. But the real reason to plant zucchini is that even if everything else in your garden fails, you will still be able to grow zucchini. You just can't kill it. So zucchini has become my old reliable.

Another new favorite is basil. Lately I've taken to growing basil all year long. And I'll tell you what! I might be able to live on tomato, basil and fresh mozzarella cheese sandwiches. (Wow, I'm getting hungry!) I've also grown a fondness for fresh pesto. Oh! And try this. Mix chopped tomatoes and basil in with some white rice for a summery side dish. So good!

Finally we grow some beans. I'd wax eloquent about beans, but, frankly, you've gotten me so hungry I need to make me a sandwich. Oh...if only I had fresh tomatoes!

7 comments:

Amber said...

I love tomatoes, however, the rest of the family despises them. We have planted some little gems too.
Also, loved the cucumber boats, we must try that one!

Jen said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cucumbers! I am planning to try them in a container this summer. Here in Maryland, growing is obviously different than Arizona! YUM!!!

1blueshi1 said...

hehehe...great post! I am hungry for a fresh basil and tomato sandwich now, too! I tried to plant some fresh basil from the store on my windowsill a couple of weeks ago, but it promptly slumped like a grounded teenager and has lost the will to live.
hmm--I wonder if you can grow zucchini inside?!?
ps one of my favorite authors, Barbara Samuel, her book No Place Like Home has a great sounding zuke recipe in it! marinated in lemon juice & olive oil then grilled until golden, served with cherry tomatoes as a garnish...wow, I can't WAIT for summer!

Rochelleht said...

I really wish I liked tomatoes, but I don't. I've tried for years. Hoped during my pregnancies that I would start, but I didn't. I've given up trying anymore. They disgust me. But my whole family likes them, so at least I succeeded there.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

Is the garden just a cover for something to do since you turned off the TV? How is that going by the way?

Elisa said...

I LOVE fresh produce. I planted my first garden ever last year (we've been married 14 year... yes. we are total slackers!), and I had cucumbers coming out my eyeballs. Seriously. AND they weren't just cucumbers but MUTANT cucumbers that were so big I seriously became frightened to eat them! What if they had weird mutant powers?? DANG! I should've eaten them! Maybe I would have super powers now!
Good luck on the garden, and I have some WICKED fresh salsa recipes if you get bored with yours!

Madame Queen said...

"Please, let me help you to live" LOL! I agree. I love cucumbers, too, but they have to be cold.

We're thinking of planting a garden this year, but I'm seriously afraid the deer will take it all.