Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Somebody Throw the Switch and Give My Delightful Back!

I am going on record as saying that I used to be delightful. That's right. I was witty, and flexible, and charming, and sort of cute. Then I had kids. Now I find myself saying stuff like: "Just do it! How many times do I have to tell you? Do you like it when Mommy yells? You must because you don't listen until I raise the volume!" And my all time favorite: "Because I told you so!"

I'm no longer witty and charming. And flexible? Hah! Suddenly I know where those little frown lines between the eyes come from.

Don't get me wrong. My kids are my favorite thing in the whole world, and I'm doing exactly what I want to be doing. It's just more demanding than anything I've ever done in my life. There's no off switch. Did you know that?

This morning I was awakened 45 minutes before I had to get out of bed by Griffin, a.k.a. the Mexican Jumping Bean. He crawled into bed with me and proceeded to wiggle until I snarled, "Go downstairs and find Daddy."

"No! I want to sleep with you."

"Then stop wiggling around!"

The stillness lasted only seconds. Bounce, bounce, wiggle, turn...

"Griffin!"

"What?"

"Stop."

Cough, cough, cough, cough, wiggle, wiggle, bounce...

"Okay. I'm up!"

So I'm kind of tired, and I have cramps, and I'm a little grumpy, and I just want to know, will I ever get to be delightful again? Ever?

8 comments:

Kyle said...

DITTO! That is all I can say because I feel the exact same way!
Kyle

Jen said...

Apparently my "delightful" has left too! Check out my blog today! www.peaceinthepandemonium.blogspot. com

Deanna said...

The life of a mother! I'm thinking "delightful" comes back as a grandma.When You can spoil them, feed them cookies and treats and then send them home for their parents to deal with.

Laurel said...

I also was more delightful than I used to be...now I am much less breezy than I dare admit.

Amber said...

I keep telling myself that I must still find the me in the middle of my choas, but it gets a little daunting. There are so many other circumstances out of my control that make it tougher, darn those independant children! To: Enjoying the journey!

Rochelleht said...

Oh, I SOOOOO get this! I'm right there with ya, sista! Sometimes, there are days... I had many in a row last month. You know, the month of patience!? So, I decided to extend it and fast for it again and so far the first 4 days are going alright...

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

PLEASE let me know if you have an answer to that!!!!
the good thing is we are all grumpy, and less witty..so we are in it with ya :)

Shana said...

I have to say, I feel selfishly better know that you and other mothers go through these feelings as well.
Right after Bella was born, I felt really down and because of the winter weather, kind of trapped all day in the house with two kids. The feedings and the motherly duties went all day and all through the nights, and I desperately wanted an "off switch."
Somehow I made it through the first 6 weeks and now things have gotten much, much better. But I find I am a much more delightful person when I am allowed some time once a week for myself. Rob will stay with kids so I can go get a pedicure, or go to the movies with a girlfriend, or sometimes it is as simple as Rob gets the kids to bed and I get to sit in the Lazy Boy and watch one of my favorite shows in peace and quiet.
I can be at my wits end and then I get a couple hours of peace for myself, and that is all I need to feel completely different. I'm ready to tackle whatever the kids throw my way.

PS I still think you are one of the
more delightful people I know.
I love you!