Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Details, Schmetails

Close friends are aware that Mr. Wicke will never be nicknamed "The Great Communicator". In fact they've often heard me say with a laugh that "it is the NOT talking that keeps us together."

It is a joke, but like every good joke there is a kernel of truth to it. We do talk about a lot of things: societal concerns, the nature of man, items of public policy, goals and dreams...We just don't talk about the details of living.

Like yesterday. He didn't tell me that he "locked" the garage door overnight by rigging a wrench through the door hinge. That probably would have been good to know when I left to go grocery shopping because when the door didn't open I tried it again, like every good woman will do. Then I heard a grating noise and the entire right side came off the track and bent at an awkward angle.

So while the not talking keeps us together, it also cost us 75 bucks yesterday. Oh well. Anyone want to talk about current events?

5 comments:

Betsy said...

Bet that went over like a lead balloon.

Amanda said...

oooh! I broke the garage door once. We were having a booger of a time with it and one day it just wouldn't come down. I had had enough so I reached up with both hands, grabbed the edge of the door and hung from it sort of "bouncing" at the same time.

Oh, it came down alright! I don't remember how much it costs us though. LOL!

Shana said...

You know what...I've been in this kind of situation with Robert too many times to count.
My husband's theory of why he doesn't communicate or bother himself with the mundane tasks and day to day details that help keep our home and family run, is that people who have "genius IQ's", like himself, just don't think that way.
When I first married him, this drove me crazy because I thought it was a bunch of crapola! sp? But after 5 years straight of him forgetting to take the trash out to the curb, forgetting his lunches in the mornings, forgetting his wallet or phone before leaving the house, forgetting to tell me that we have company coming
over...etc...etc..etc...
I have come to realize that maybe there is truth to what he says.
He bogs his brain down with such things as political matters, the mysteries of men, business ideas and other crazy quandaries. This kind of thinking just doesn't leave room for mundane day to day tasks.
i get that he doesn't think like I do, and how boring it would be if he did, but some days, like the one you are describing, it is a little bit much to take. UGH!
Glad to know I'm not the only one out there.

Kyle said...

We have similar relationships with our husbands..but I am such a talker that I don't think I could stand to be married to someone that wanted to talk all the time...kinda steals my thunder! Sometimes it is kind of annoying!
Love the post :)

Anonymous said...

Ouch! My man and I don't do small talk either. It's an ongoing joke with his mom. She thinks we never talk. ha ha I never know when she's coming to visit because my man doesn't tell me. ;) It works for us too.