Tuesday, March 4, 2008

As My Next Witness, I Call David McCullough to the Stand

Some bloggers have run into resistance about our hobby, or at least that is what I've gleaned from reading a few posts about the topic. There seems to be a notion that blogging can be a waste of time, unlike basketball, or scrapbooking, or movie watching, gardening, game playing or reading, which are more constructive pastimes...I guess? I mean who is the judge and jury who decides which diversions are more worthwhile than others?

Today I listened to an interview with David McCullough, one of our premiere historians and the author of 1776, who hit on a very interesting point. While discussing his study of the personal letters and diaries of historical figures that make up the majority of his research, he said:

"We don't write letters much anymore, and we don't keep diaries. No politician in our lifetime, I don't think, will ever keep a diary again. And they would really pour themselves out on paper. They would uncover their innermost feelings, their thoughts, worries, anxieties, ambitions, animosities, and particularly if they were writing to someone they particularly cared about or trusted totally. They also were doing something very important which we don't do much anymore, at least among family through correspondence of this kind, and that is the old expression: They were working their thoughts out on paper. We've all had that experience; we're writing a report, or a memo, or a letter, or a book, and suddenly you have an idea, you have an insight that you never would have had if you weren't putting those words down on paper, and that is why it was not just important that they communicate to someone else what they were thinking or feeling, but why it was so important--that act of writing helped them to clarify their thoughts."

That is one of the primary reasons I love blogging. It can be a great form of pondering and meditation. As I struggle to communicate the stresses, struggles, passions, concerns, and feelings regarding a variety of topics, I begin to see them more clearly. I do gain insights into the personal circumstances of my life.

It is too easy in our day and age to run from one activity to the next, full of noise and hurry, without really thinking and examining what is going on around us. Writing gives me time for that.

Even in my silly posts about the nonsense of daily life, documenting those moments makes me more aware of the life I am living. It helps bring what is important to me into focus. As I relive happy moments, I appreciate them more deeply, and as I find a way to laugh at the difficulties, it minimizes them.

Writing is exercise for the brain and food for the soul. I know I am better off because of it. And so to the pastime judge and jury: I rest my case.

10 comments:

Betsy said...

Amen! I used to keep a journal for that very reason, but I found that it got depressing. When I know people are going to read what I write, I find it keeps me more upbeat about daily life.

1blueshi1 said...

oooh, I like that. if I had the working brain cells to comprehend it's greatness, I am so tired right now, but had to come by and say, these samples of Dermadoctor that I got from Sephora are working WONDERS on my pores, and the Clinique ultra city block spf 40 I am loving as well. just wanted to FYI you on the DD, it is pricey (I am looking on ebay) but SO worth it. 2 days and I can SEE a difference!

mother of seven said...

I agree with you 100 % I don't always have time to post. But I must say I look forward to reading my friends blogs. I learn more about them and more importantly learn we are all going thru the sames struggles in life. I love the advise that is given. This is a great forum. Like anything in life MODERATION is the key factor. If you spend all day in front of the computer and your kids are not fed and you have no clothes to wear....You may be blogging too much!!!!

Madame Queen said...

I work with Special Collections in the State University Library where we SEE those old letters and diaries every day. They are so important to document what life was like at that time. And David McCullough is correct -- we lose something because we don't write anymore. We email. Or we text. Or we IM. But these blogs ARE capturing daily life. So just think of it like this -- WE are adding to the historical record. One day researchers will be searching through archives of OUR blogs to get a feel for 21st century life.

Amber said...

Thanks for the "not so humble opinion" that I love! I wonder why people can get away with making judgements about which hobby is more productive...and worse why I sometimes buy into it.

Rochelleht said...

That was so great! I so agree. I really feel that through blogging, I'm living a more conscious life. I think people who waste time reading and surfing all day long know who they are. But if you are spending a short time each day reading enriching materials and writing your own, you can really improve your life, I think. Great great post as always!!!

Kyle said...

I love to blog...it took me a while to join the bandwagon but now I am hooked...It is addicting but I think a really good outlet :)

Melissa said...

I am with you on this one! I think it will be so fun to look back with my grandchildren at my blog posts and let them see who I really was when I was younger. You seriously couldn't be more right!

Amanda said...

Love this post. I agree completely. Getting my thoughts out on "paper" helps me to sort through them more clearly and understand better what's going on in my often mixed-up mind. I can't imagine NOT writing.

Anonymous said...

Well said. Rochelle sung your praises, so I headed over to read this post. I've been contemplating the very subject of "distractions" and how I seem to fill my life with too many of them.

Blogging has truly enriched my life, not only with connecting with some pretty amazing women, but also giving myself a voice. My experience has been that bloggers are so supportive and encouraging. So if you're having a great day or a bad one - it's ok. Many times I'm able to freely laugh at the bad days, just because I know it will make a great post. It's a blessing to be able to laugh at yourself during the trials not just after them.