Monday, June 2, 2008

Who's Teaching Who Around Here?

It has been said that teachers always learn more than the students. That is true. And since that is true, we can say that I have had many opportunities to learn lately.

Having the children in close proximity to one another all day during this first week of summer has suddenly revealed Logan's tendency to scratch, pinch, kick, or otherwise bully her brother. She has never been physical with anyone else, but Griff seems to bring out the beast in her, and she is becoming overly familiar with the time out bench. This is how it went down:

Logan: (through blubbering tears) I hate this place! I just want to, to...to break it!

Me: Well, if you broke it you'd just have to sit on the floor. Besides, it's not the time out stool that is the problem. The problem is that you are pinching and scratching your brother. That is the reason you are in time out.

Logan: But, but, but he--

Me: No, Logan. There is no reason for you to ever hit or pinch or scratch anyone else. Ever.

Logan: But he, he just makes me so mad, and I can't help myself!

Me: No. You CAN help yourself. You need to learn to control that temper.

Logan: But he seems to want to get hurt because he keeps teasing me!

Me: Here's the deal. Any time you put your hands on your brother you will be in time out. Every time. No warning. We are past that now. You know it's wrong, and you know what we expect.

Later that night, as they were getting ready for bed, there was another altercation, and Logan spent more time on the naughty stool. Again she argued to her father that she just "couldn't help herself," so when she came upstairs to say her prayers and get into bed I said, "You know, Logan, maybe in your prayers you should ask Heavenly Father to help you control your temper."

She still hadn't fully recovered from the drama that always accompanies a trip to the naughty stool, so as she started her prayer it came out in a sniffling whimper.

"Heavenly Father, thank you (sniff, sniff) for this wonderful day." As she paused for a stuttering breath, I could not help but take a moment to recognize the grand irony!

"Please help me to..." This is where she fell completely apart. The sniffling turned to utter blubbering. All she could manage between sobs was one ragged "Help!"

"And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, and said, verily I say unto you, except ye be converted, and become as little children ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:2-4)

Help. A most simple and sincere prayer. One that I find myself reflecting on again and again. One that I could often repeat. Lesson learned.

15 comments:

mother of seven said...

amen....Laurel I am going thru the same around here. We are all doing good, but some times forget to "keep our hands to ourself!!"

Kelsey received a wedgie today. Not her favorite thing.

We miss you!!!!

mother of seven said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

I really like that. So true.

Erin said...

That is beautiful. We are also going through the physicalness of siblings. It is one tough thing to get through.

Rochelleht said...

Thanks.

Madame Queen said...

Sometimes that's all we need to say -- help.

1blueshi1 said...

hehe, tell Logan I said thank you for praying for ME!!!
Bookey and Zac are starting to argue ALL DAY LONG. It does not usually get physical but boy howdy does it make me want to rip my ears off. Any suggestions?

Sher said...

You are obviously an awesome Mom, who seized the opportunity to teach your child to pray in her time of need.
I have the same temper problem with my 6 year old and her little brother, and I have no doubt that she inherited her temper from none other than her mother.

Lisa-Marie said...

Ah. Out of the mouths of babes.

Elisa said...

That was beautiful. Now that I have had my morning cry, I can go about my day... I just need to remember that all I need to do is utter the words HELP... because really that's all Heavenly Father wants to hear before he jumps in. This was exactly what I needed this morning.
Thanks!

The Cutchen Crew said...

Glad to know my kiddos aren't the only ones with this same struggle. Got to love them!!

Anonymous said...

Kids-gotta love them!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

It is ironic that the best lessons that we can learn are from our children.
Hang in there we are all having the summer I-cannot-stop-bugging-my-sibling blues. I really do dread this adjustment time of summer but soon we will have the groove going and all will be well.

Laurel said...

I love that story...sometimes my prayers come out exactly the same.
HELP!!!

Pam said...

That was so great! I related too well. You are seriously a fun writer.