Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Book Review












A few months ago I began reading Little House in the Big Woods to Logan and rediscovered the joy of the Little House series all over again. Probably the best gift this little book has to offer is that of perspective. How blessed but complicated our lives seem now. How very different and yet the same. I loved sharing a slice of history with my child who has no concept of life before dvr's, minivans, and microwaves. That a child could be happy with a corncob doll was a unique thought, and one I remind her of often when ingratitude creeps in around here.

We just finished Little House on the Prarie, and it moved a bit more slowly than Little House in the Big Woods, but I was still fascinated, and so was Logan. I can hardly imagine a life so primitive. Some say Pa was crazy for moving his family away from the Big Woods where they had a solid footing, but the settler's spirit is responsible for the growth and development of our country and is still the heart of the American way. Who doesn't look to better the situation of their family even when it means stepping into the unknown? Mrs. Wilder's detailed descriptions of the hard work and difficulties fill me with awe and respect. It was such a different world in so many ways, but still I can relate to the deep family love and commitment that shines through on every page.

On Goodreads.com I read some reviews of this book that rubbed me the wrong way. Parts of the book deal with some run-ins with the Native American Tribes in the area. As one can imagine, as white settlers, the Ingall's family's point of view was not up to par with today's politically correct atmosphere, for which some people knocked the book.

I will admit that it was a bit of a challenge to explain the nuances of the conflict to a six year old. Sometimes it was disturbing, but we can and should be disturbed by history. It can at times seem unfair, ugly, and even wrong; however, ignoring it or rewriting it to suit our current cultural standard is ignorant. The truth is, during this period of history there are no easy answers regarding settlers and Indians. (Yes, that is what they were called back then.) There was fear, distrust, and wrong-doings on both sides. Her description is historically accurate, however uncomfortable that may be. It is how she really saw it.

I do not think we would do our children any service by sugar-coating history as some reviewers seemed to argue. It is by struggling with the injustices of the past that we invaluably inform our judgements and actions regarding the complex questions of today. Please let us not rob our children of the hard truth. Let us give them knowledge and experience and arm them to do better and be better today.

I think this series should be on every mother's reading list.

7 comments:

The Kriloff Klan said...

I couldn't agree more! It is definetly one of my favs!

mother of seven said...

I agree... I have all the books. Used to watch it on tv when it was prime time....back in the day!!!!

Aubrey said...

Ooh! I forgot about those books and I read them all when I was in elementary school. I loved them. Now my sappy husband loves the show's reruns and has bought SEVERAL seasons on DVD. Sheesh. He's pathetic in some departments, I'm afraid.

Madame Queen said...

Yes, let's just pretend that the settlers and Indians all got along and it was all one big tea party! Good grief. How can we teach our children how to make the right choices if we don't talk about some hard truths.

I can't wait to read these to my kids, too!

Sara said...

i cried as i finished the last book (as an adult) because i was going to miss Laura and her spirited strength.

1blueshi1 said...

My mom bought me the boxed series, illustrated by Garth Wilder, as a child, and it still sits proudly on my bookshelf today. I tried to read the new ones about Ma's childhood and Rose's growing up but to me, they just did not have the detail and quality of the original series. Especially Farmer Boy.
I've also read a couple of books about Laura Ingalls Wilder and was shocked to find out how much she edited and rewrote as the series has always had such an easy, simple feel to it. The last book was only on its' second rewrite when she died, that's why it reads so differently from the others.
I am reading Charlotte's Web to my kids right now, also illustrated by Garth Williams. I love his drawings.
I keep wondering, Is it Friday yet??? Can't wait to read that post!
I think you are a fabulous mom.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

The only way we change and evolve into something better is from our past. I never think we should alter the classics, as I think these wonderful books are, but use them as teaching moments for compassion and acceptance and how we should not repeat the past.