Thursday, June 26, 2008

If You Can't Join 'Em, Laugh at 'Em


So the other day, I was perusing the blogosphere (what else do you do when you're aimless?) Anywhoo, I came across a blog of someone who in all likelihood is a gorgeous woman. Probably the kind of woman I dream of being, but never will be unless God on the other side is interested in performing limb-lengthening miracles. She's probably all tall and willowy. (I love that word. In the short world we have no word to equal willowy.) She's probably a girl with long, sinewy, arms and legs, and I won't even mention her flat stomache and perky tea-cup sized breasts. It's too depressing.

This is all conjecture of course, but I assume as much because in one post she listed her favorite snacks. Ready? This is copied verbatim. Here it goes:

"A cup of tea with milk, frozen grapes, honey ice cream, olives, raw almonds, carrots, salt and pepper potato chips, half an avocado with balsamic vinegar, dark chocolate, cheeze-its, radishes with salt, blue cheese"

See what I mean? I am telling you, only a super skinny person would list these foods as snacks! Snacks are supposed to be the things we shouldn't eat so we sneak them between meals. C'mon! A radish?! A radish is no snack!

Or how about this: "Man, I am so depressed over that break-up. I know. I'll rent a bunch of chick flicks and eat a giant bowl of frozen grapes." Where is the comfort food, people?

Look, I don't mean to make fun of super health-conscious, skinny people--well, maybe just a little. It's just that I'll never understand them. In theory I'd like to be like them, but in real life I say, "Pass the chips and salsa, hand me some chocolate chip cookies, and let's have some fun!"

12 comments:

Shana said...

I'm with you my friend!
Even though I do have a little more height on my side, I have had to come to terms with the facts of my body type. I will NEVER be skinny, small boned, or a size 4 kind of gal. That is how it is no matter what I snack on. So I don't stress over it too much.
In my opinion, if it is good for you- it can't be that great of a snack!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I am with both of you, what kind of snack is that. I think that there should be a rule that snacks have to consist of something that contains more calories than the average person should consume in one day.

Us short people do need a word like willowy, stocky, sturdy, okay I am getting myself depressed. Time for a snack and to google for word like willowy.

Debbie said...

Those are snacks?? Those are some things I don't even try to get my kids to eat!?
Snacking sounds almost like sneaking, and that's how I like to think of it. If you can sneak a good snack in it's probably good and salty, or really sweet, or milk-chocolately, right?
That's what those packaged foods are good for...snacking, truly!

Debbie said...

YUM I love frozen grapes and radishes with salt and could eat a whole can of olives..But man I can dig into a bag of chocolate chip cookes too!

Megan B said...

And don't forget the Schwans Peanut butter chocolate ice cream. Yummmy. Now why am I not skinny and willowy again????

Madame Queen said...

Have you ever had a frozen grape? I had one by accident -- ours froze by accident when we were camping -- and it was not even good. At least not to me.

Chips and salsa. That's what I'm all about. Or chips and guacamole. With a beer. Yum!

Elisa said...

chips & salsa = Yum! Or how about Fries? or candy? But a frozen grape? Thats not a snack! That will break your teeth!

Deanna said...

I am so with you. Which is of course why I will never be thin. If only I could go back to those days when I was thin and THOUGHT I was fat. when your metabolisim actually worked and when you could eat whatever you wanted with no side effects and little to no exercise. Those days are long gone... If only we could live our lives in reverse....

mother of seven said...

AMEN!!!!!

P.S isn't that rabbit food...seriously?

Aubrey said...

Those snacks make me depressed. She did have potatoe chips, but I highly suspect them of being naturally organic and practically still more potatoe than chip. Like salt and pepper-cured potatoes.
I'm hungry...
And do not let the Queen, my SIL, convince you she's stocky or sturdy. She's cute and bubbly and FUNNY.

desert mom said...

Have you ever tried cheese and carrots and/or apples. Randy H introduced me to this snack. They taste great. We've discovered Mennonite cheese and it's yummy. I do need chocolate though...once in a while...I lied more than once in a while.

Betsy said...

This is why I adore you. And acutally, there is a word for "willowy" in the short world. It's "stumpy."