Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Love at First Sight According to a 4 Year Old

As the children and I were leaving McDonald's today (Hey! We're on Thanksgiving vacation!) a car with two teenage girls pulled up. I wouldn't have even noticed them except they swerved in there pretty fast, and I was tempted to say, "Slow down!" like the old person that I have turned into all of a sudden. I practiced some self control, however, and was quickly occupied by trying to get my kids in the car and breaking up the "He's copying me!" argument that is currently a staple in our home when suddenly this takes place:

Griffin: I'm going to marry her when I get older. (All said with lisping S's and incorrect R's.)
Me: Huh? What?
Griffin: I'm going to marry her when I get older.
Me: What? Who?
Griffin: That girl right there.
Me: Which one?
Griffin: That girl, right there, in the, the, the... white shirt. I'm going to marry her when I get older.
Me: Her? Why?
Griffin: How old do I have to be?
Me: At least 23. Why her?
Griffin: Because I love her.
Me: What?
Griffin: I love her.
Me: No, I heard that. Why her?
Griffin: How old is she?
Me: A lot older than you.
Griffin: Well, I'm going to marry her.
Me: Yeah, but why do you love her?
Griffin: Because.

That's all I could get out of him on the topic. He may be in love, but he still has a very short attention span.

5 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Ha ha ha! That cracks me up!!

Today Gracie said, "what if I married lip gloss?" Hey, at least your kid is eyeing an actual HUMAN BEING!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

ha! Maybe you should of got her number, or picture JUST IN CASE??!! :) Im thinking NO on having her babysit though..dont ya agree??!!

Chester The Bear said...

"because!"

It's the universal reason. More of us should take heed, and just end our explainations there.

Lisa-Marie said...

I've tried the "because" explanation. It doesn't work for me.

That is way cute! Won't he be glad to look back and read this when he is 16!?!!?

Amanda said...

Aw! Too cute for words. I guess he doesn't realize that older girls have cooties, too.