Thursday, October 25, 2007

Uninvited Guests

In the last week I have:
found two of these (alive!)


and one of these (dead!)







in. my. house!!!

Hey, I'm all for hospitality, but this is where I draw the line. The thing is, we have lived here three years without seeing one scorpion. Now my friend down the road has had them the entire time, but not us, and I thought we were safe. Supposedly they "do not migrate," but apparently they do, because they've decided to come chill in our pad for a while!

The first one was out in our garage. We thought it was just a fluke, one that came in on the leaf blower our neighbors had borrowed. It was gross and nasty, but I was sure we wouldn't see another.

But then two nights later, Griffin announced rather gleefully, "Hey! There's a scorpion!"

Sadly, Mr. Wicke replied, "No there isn't. Now get in there and brush your teeth." (Yeah, we are all about building that high level of trust with our children. Don't worry, we are saving money for their probable counseling.) But the real point is that upon closer inspection, sure enough Griff was right: A full grown, adult, bark scorpion (those are the nasty ones), on the second floor of our house, right outside my baby boy's door! That is not a fluke! (You may still hear the reverberations of my muffled scream.)

But that's not all. Oh no. On Monday night during family home evening, I thought I saw something under one of the bookcases in the living room. What the heck is that? Reading my squinted eyes and confused expression, Thomas interrupted the important point he was making.

"What?"

"Sorry...but could you see what is under there?"

He inspected but clearly didn't want to say anything out loud. Perhaps I have a wee history of over-reacting.

"What is it? Seriously. What?"

That's when he went for nonchalant. "Oh, it's just a dead mouse."

And that's when, no kidding, I started to cry. Laughing because I knew I was utterly ridiculous, but crying nonetheless. In front of our children. I am one smooth operator.

But come on!!! Isn't that just too much for one week? I don't feel safe in my own home, and don't think I'm crawling into bed without a full and complete bed check every night or walking around barefoot in this joint anymore. No way!

Some house guests just make things really uncomfortable!

11 comments:

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

wow, I really feel for you. I would be crying TOO! Scorpions have the be the WORST thing..they just blend in with everything. At least with a mouse, you will see it!!! and it would bite you!

Madame Queen said...

AHHHH! You know, I know mice are all germy and all, but it would really be the scorpions that would freak me out. The ones we have here aren't that big and I've never found on in my house, but I did find three dead ones in the cabin we rented for our family reunion back in August. If there are dead ones, ergo there must also be live ones somewhere, right? Doesn't make for a great night's sleep, does it?

Rochelleht said...

Oh, your pain makes me laugh. Not really, just your descriptions of it. YIKES!!!! That is so freaky freaky!!!

We had rat problems for a while. They were only in our garage and attic (at least I think so) in our old house, but it was a horrible horrible winter. One died in a wall in our garage and rotten. UGH! It was so disgusting.

I really am a clean person, I promise. That's why it was so disturbing. See, a yucky person would like scorpians and mice and rats in their house. Not us. We cry.

Amanda said...

The mouse would bother me a bit, but a scorpion is reason enough to move, as far as I'm concerned. I think you need a nice family night out to relieve some stress. Mini-golfing, perhaps?

Lauren said...

Well, I think you handled it beautifully! I would have gone completely crazy, put my house up for sale and moved to Alaska, where it's too cold for critters like that to live.

I know how you feel though-I have found 2 (teeny weanie totally harmless, just born) snakes in my garage, and im scared to death to go out there by myself now.
Can they do pest control for scorpians?

Lisa-Marie said...

I am SO sorry. I can relate to unwanted house guests. We live in a 115 year old farm house (not the kind you oooh and ahh over really) and we have had bats in our house. Yes, BATS. Eeeeeek.

I guess that would all make for great post material. Some day.

Patriot said...

Just came across your blog and wanted to let you know about a free giveaway I'm hosting - come check it out! Thank you! Have a great weekend!

1blueshi1 said...

heh, have I got a great story for you about how I was watching the season of CSI, directed by Quentin Tarantino, so--gory! with exxxtra gore!--lying on the couch under a cover when this ENORMOUS "palmetto bug" (I cannot say the R word) DROPS OFF THE CEILING ONTO THE TOP OF THE COVER AND DISAPPEARS, sending me into a state of hiding similar to that of Anne Frank. My recorded screams will be used on horror movie soundtracks for years to come.
so, my sympathies as you deal with "Of Mice And Scorpions."

Kate said...

Yuck! Sorry- I am sick of spiders in my house... so this week we are having our house sprayed...

Melissa said...

I sooooooooooooo do not like those two things. YUCK and double YUCK!

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Ok...that's my biggest fear living in Texas! Fortunately (knock on wood) we haven't encountered and scorpions yet, but we've had our share of BIG nasty bugs. But if I ever came across a scorpion I think I'd have to move.