Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Stirring the Pot and Bringing Peace

A couple of weekends ago I experienced a personal best. A momentous occasion, if you will. Yes, it finally happened: I made a meal my father-in-law raved about.

Now, Bob, if you read this, now or ever, you must admit that you are a bit...well...should we say...finicky? Remember now: No one can fix eggs the way you like them except your wife. I tried--only once. And then there was the time I made lunch and you ate the deli sandwich instead. C'mon. Admit it. You're finicky.

Well, now that we've gotten that straight, I can get back to the rest of you. So this is my favorite soup to make; it's super easy and so delicious, and since it has received Bob's stamp of approval, I am going to share it with the world in hopes of bringing fathers and daughters-in-law closer. Who knows? My personal best may just turn into a Nobel Peace Prize.

Tomato Artichoke Soup
4 T butter
1 lg. onion, finely chopped
1 T minced garlic
1 tsp dried thyme
1 (15 oz.) can artichoke hearts (NOT marinated), coarsely chopped
1 (28 oz.) can chopped tomatoes with juices
4 C chicken broth
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 C sour cream

In a large saucepan, heat butter and saute the onion for 5 min. until soft. Add the garlic and thyme and saute another minute. Add the artichoke hearts, tomatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Cover, simmer for 30 minutes. Add the sour cream, stir well and simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste for seasoning. Serves 8.

6 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

I LOVE soup. The one and probably only reason I am excited that winter is coming. I am going to try that. YUM! I might have to NOT tell my hubby it has artichoke hearts though. Goof ball!

Claire Kennedy said...

What a delicious recipe. I have greatly enjoyed your blog. I hope you can check ours out.

God Bless,
Claire Kennedy

Melissa said...

Can't wait to try it!

Amber said...

YES! I have a soup party to go to next week. Thank you thank you!
I WILL post the ?'s...

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Laugh-at-me-Laurel here. Gotta try this soup. Sounds like heaven!

Yeah...too many Laurel's all the sudden. Where have we all been hiding? I rarely meet others.

1blueshi1 said...

that soup sounds delicious! must try it. even though I haven't had to communicate with my FIL pretty much all year, hehe.