Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Mmm! My New Favorite Banana Bread

Most of the time I eat my way through vacations. This one is no different. Here is the recipe for a banana bread my sister in law made a couple of days ago, and it is the only one I will make from now on. That's right, Betty Crocker! You are out!!! This one is so moist with a chewy, slightly carmelized crust. So delicious! You heard me Betty: It kicks your butt.

3/4 C. butter/margarine
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 1/2 C. mashed bananas (3)
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 C. buttermilk
3/4 C. walnuts, chopped (optional)

Cream butter and sugar thoroughly. Blend in bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together. Add to banana mixture, alternating with buttermilk, mixingthoroughly after each addition. Add nuts, mix. Pour batter into 9x3x5 loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/4 hour or until done.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I don't know laurel, my recipe is going to be pretty hard to beat. I will just have to try yours and compare!! (I love any excuse to make nut bread!!)

Laurel said...

well...since I've never had your bread, although I know some people that have enjoyed receiving some...not me, ofcourse,...but others whom you obviously like more...ahem...I am not able to make a judgment on the above comment.

Thomas said...

You don't expect me to run downstairs to the kitchen and whip it up just because you wrote it on your blog do you?... I'm still trying to learn the etiquette of this blog thing. I'll wait for you to get home to do it.

Laurel said...

Well, Thomas it would be nice to have some waiting at home for me upon our return, but not necessary to fulfill blogging courtesy.