Monday, July 9, 2007

Mom's Potato Salad and the Fourth of July

The Fourth of July was busy. We held our 3rd Annual Pancake Breakfast, although it was necessary to whiddle that in size this year. We had to conserve our entertaining energy for the afternoon's Family and Friends BBQ. Due to a family wedding on the 7th, we had Thomas parents and many siblings in town, so we determined to celebrate the July birthdays together. It was a great day with lots and lots of good food, which means I was busy cooking and cleaning for most of the day, but I kind of like that.

Because when I'm in the kitchen on days like this I can't help but think of my mother, the years she spent creating happy memories for us, and I hope that I'm carrying on that tradition. When my hands are busy mixing and measuring I feel her and the history of all the women before in me.

This year, I was making her Potato Salad (that deserves the capitalization), and couldn't resist the urge to call her.

"Hey, mom. I'm making your potato salad and had to call. What are you doing?"

"Making potato salad."

Ahhh...History. Continuity. And that's when I knew I was right where I was supposed to be. Thanks, Mom, for everything.