Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Heartfelt Prayer

Getting Griffin to attend Primary here in Cowley has been impossible. For whatever reason he just refuses to go, so I told him he would have to come to my grown-up classes but be absolutely quiet. Needless to say, he didn't have a great time.

So last Sunday night I was helping him with his prayers, and it went a little like this:

Griff: Dear Heavenly Father. Thank you for this day...
Me: Thankful that we could be here with Grandma.
Griff: Grandma. (For the sake of brevity, he chooses to repeat only the last word.)
Me: Thankful that we could visit with our cousins, aunts and uncles.
Griff: Uncles.
Me: Thankful that we could go to church.
LONG PAUSE.
Griff: I don't want to say that.

I guess it's like Huckleberry Finn said, "You just can't pray a lie."

6 comments:

DeeDee said...

Hey Laurel-

So glad you stopped by for a visit! I'm thrilled I could help with your speech! :) I lead our women's ministry at church, so I love that we share the same passion! And singing...I could go on and on about singing! Let me know how your event goes!

Madame Queen said...

That is too funny. Bubba, my four year old is in a stage right now where he wants to say the shortest prayer possible. I'm trying not to pressure him because I want it to be pleasurable experience for him, but I told him one night that I thought God would appreciate a more heartfelt prayer so now after every prayer he'll say "Do you think God will like that one?"

Laurel said...

Girls, thanks for stopping by!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

ha! that is so funny! sounds like you guys are having a good time!

Debbie said...

Laurel,
You are a good woman to take on the 2 little ones alone for 3 weeks!! Sounds like you have had a great time!
DEBBIE

SusieQ said...

I got a good chuckle out of Griffin's refusal to pray a lie. Thanks for sharing...