Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Just Keep Swimming



The kiddos are in swim team this summer. For the last couple of summers, we have done a lot of swimming in our backyard and, of course, the kids have had lessons. I thought they were quite the little fish, and they are...Logan seems to be born for the water, but Griff? Well, let's just say he is more of a utility swimmer at this point than a finesse swimmer. He is only five, and I have to give the little guy credit. He is hanging in there!

At our first swim meet last Thursday, Griffin finished 7th in his heat of 8. I was thrilled, but when he asked what his purple ribbon said, I got a little nervous. I just knew that when he heard "seventh place" he would be disappointed. So I really sold it. In my most enthusiastic mommy voice I said, "It says 'City of Mesa Summer Swim League (silent drumroll) SEVENTH PLACE!'"

"Seventh place??" he repeated.

"Oh, no. Here it comes," I thought.

But before I could even head him off at the pass, he said,"Seventh place? I'm good!"

And that, my friends, is the winning spirit! I hope he keeps it always. Here he is in action:





I know it may look like he is drowning in that last shot, but never fear. That is just his winning, signature freestyle stroke.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "'Just Keep Swimming" to our Directory of Sports. You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


Warm Regards

Sportstrove.info Team

http://www.sportstrove.info

Stacey said...

I love the 7th place comment!! Have a fun summer with your adorable kids!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

That is so great!!! Kids always see the best in things.

I read your "It was the worst of times"....post and that is exactly how I am feeling. Where did all my time go, why do they have to fight, can't we all just get along and let Mom be? I think this is why when August comes we are all ready to start buying school supplies, we want to get their backpacks ready, we really need from them to get back on a schedule cause our sanity is about to escape us. I guess the best thing to remember is look around, all us mom's have the same look on our faces so in a way we are all in the same boat. Love summer, Love beginning of school too!

mother of seven said...

I did swim team for YEARS!!!! have fun with that one. By the time I had 4 in it and had to drop off 4 different ages groups I collapsed!!!

I have to admit I miss it... Congrats Griffin I love the number 7!!!!

Aubrey said...

That looks like fun. My poor kids hardly see a pool all summer. Maybe I should start digging a big hole in the backyard. I wonder how far down I can get before my husband realizes I'm not just trying to regrass part of the lawn.

Rochelleht said...

LOL!!!!

desert mom said...

Yes, Griffin is GOOD! A little challenging at times but GOOD.
Love to all

Audrey said...

Ha ha...I had to laugh at the last pic...the head just barely poking out of the water. "Am I there yet?" He is adorable. They all are. My how big they are! And little Emily..just a babe when we all lived in Irvine. Phoebe is quite the fish as well. I mean, it is bathing suit weather year round here. She is like Logan. She just goes for it!!

Deanna said...

I love it. Just when I think I've got my boys all figured out they throw me a curve ball...and usually their wisdom blows my mind.

Chrissy said...

Haha, I love this!