Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Prayer in the Hands of a 5 Year Old

We may have to rethink prayer over here at The Tea Party Place. It's taking a toll on my ego. Here's how Griffin's prayers have gone during this past week.

"...please bless Daddy's work. Please bless Logan that she will feel better. Please bless me that I will be good. Please bless Mommy that she won't be so stressed out..."

or

"...please bless Mommy that she won't kill our dog..."

or

"...please bless Mommy that she won't be mad at Lincoln...'


Finally I had had it. After the amen following that last one I said, "O-kay. Let's get one thing straight: I am not an angry person! When have you ever seen me get mad at Lincoln?"

"Sometimes you do when he doesn't eat from here," he retorted pointing at his chest.

"What?? What are you talking about?"

Apparently he is not picking up on subtext and intonation. When I say to a little baby, "Okay, Mister. You'd better eat or Mommy's going to be very mad at you," in a high-pitched, sing-songy voice, I do not expect anyone to take me literally.

Or when I say to Mr. Wicke that I am, quote, "going to kill our dog" I am using it as an expression. Not a statement of fact. But apparently 5 year olds don't understand sardonic humor.

And as for me being stressed out, I wonder that Griff never thought to bless himself that he would finally learn to obey. That would do wonders for my level of stress. Until then, I guess we are just going to have to avoid calling on him to pray--at least in front of strangers.

5 comments:

mother of seven said...

I Love Griffin....

Erin said...

Very cute. And at least he is thinking up new things to say, you have to give that to him:)

Stacey said...

Innocence is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! At least he is being taught to pray. I just read the following quote this morning:
Raising Heavenly Father's Children
Posted: 30 Apr 2009 12:00 AM PDT
"Pray, study, and teach the gospel. Pray deeply about your children and about your role as a mother. Parents can offer a unique and wonderful kind of prayer because they are praying to the Eternal Parent of us all. There is great power in a prayer that essentially says, 'We are steward-parents over Thy children, Father; please help us to raise them as thou wouldst want them raised.' "
M. Russell Ballard, "Daughters of God," Ensign, May 2008, 110

Pam said...

LOL! If I ever have the chance to ask Griffin to pray in front of me, I will take it. That boy is so great!