Monday, December 8, 2008

You Know the Problem with Grace Under Pressure? You Get No Credit.

I think every mom--shoot, make that woman!--can relate to the following senario in some way:

Consider that in the last two weeks, in addition to the normal running of the household, I have:

-cleaned the house top to bottom--including underbeds and washing windows inside and out. (I won't mention that it rained the day before company arrived anyway.)

-finally decorated and painted the woodwork in the guest bathroom that has been sadly ignored for the last 3 years.

-housed and fed 12 of my favorite people in the world over the Thanksgiving weekend.

-cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 19 adults and 5 children and enjoyed every minute we spent together. (I also won't mention the unbelievable size of my swollen elephant ankles and troll feet.)

-created, printed, and addressed all the Christmas cards.

-decorated the house for Christmas. (I won't mention that Mr. Wicke had a meeting that night and that our kids were wired on Christmas spirit. I mean WIRED!)

-did a lot of Christmas shopping. (I won't mention that Logan changed her mind--AGAIN!)

-planned a progressive dinner for our women's group at church.

-and still managed to keep the children alive, fed, dressed, and clean.

Then consider three nights ago when Logan casually mentioned this over dinner:

"Mom, I've noticed something...since you've been pregnant you haven't worked that hard."

Obviously I'm making this gig look too easy. (I won't mention how tired I feel.)

8 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Oh, kids are too MUCH! That is pretty funny. It sounds like you are nesting. Or just surviving the holidays...

mother of seven said...

WOW you did not mention if Logan is still with us!!!! I am kidding. My kids are the same way. You make things look easy and they do not realize how much work it is!!!

Hope all is well with you.

Erin said...

Way to go! That is a ton of stuff that you have been up to. Good Work!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Laurel,
I was wanting to send you a Christmas Card. Can you email me your address? gksinks@yahoo.com
Sounds like a busy Thanksgiving;)

Madame Queen said...

You need to quit making it look so easy so they'll give you a break! Get off those feet woman! (I used to call mine Fred Flintsone feet!).

Thanks for the very sweet compliment on my blog today! It made my day.

Anonymous said...

AMEN, SISTER!!!! I think that everyone around me thinks that little elves come out at night take care of EVERYTHING! Hang in there, Wonder Woman! Love you, Becky

Aubrey said...

Holy CRAP! There's NO WAY I could get that much done in two weeks, even not-pregnant, heck, even without kids--even though that's not an option anyway. You must be supermom (and don't spend all day blogging like someone else I know). That Logan. Make her read this post. ;)

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

that is so funny. I used to wonder that myself as a kid. We'd come home and it looked like Angels had helped my mom make the house look perfect!