Monday, December 22, 2008

Joy to Your World

We are seeking the joy of the season around the Tea Party Place. Seeking. Sometimes finding. Sometimes not. You might remember last year when I came up with our Advent Calendar Activities? Well, we are going strong again this year, despite the fact that most of the time what I imagine in my head is not how it plays out in reality. A couple of examples:

1) We made homemade Christmas cards for the Children's friends. In my mind it was going to be a happy craft time spent together. How it played out? Glitter everywhere. Griffin mistakenly drinking his painting rinse water. Copious amounts of glue that didn't always stay on the paper. Mommy saying things like, "Okay, already! That's enough." That sort of the thing.

2) We delivered treats to our friends. Keep in mind that it took me three days to finish because the baby is sucking the life force out of me. By the time we delivered I was pretty tired of cookies, frosting and mess. But we at least had some to deliver! In my mind I saw the four of us happily riding in the car listening to Christmas carols on the radio, the children excitedly running to the door, wishing neighbors and friends a "Merry Christmas!" Those things happened, all right. I just didn't also imagine the crushed boxes of treats due to the Christmas-crack induced hyperactivity of the children. Nor did I foresee the almost constant bickering: "It's my turn! You did the last one! Let me ring the doorbell! I'll carry it!..." There was a moment when Mr. Wicke and I locked eyes and questioned our sanity during that very long evening.

Sometimes I wonder if these Christmas events are even worth it. Oh, I think the kids have a good time; I can tell because their joy bubbles over into crazed mania at times, and I just wonder if I do a good enough job hiding the level of frustration I sometimes feel boiling under my skin and the relief I secretly find in saying, "Okay! Time for bed!"

But then there are the magical moments that surprise me. Comments like, "This is the best night ever!" or finding this in Logan's backpack:



"What is the Bob Board?" I asked.

"I forgot what it's called, but it's this," she said pointing the snowman advent calendar hanging in the family room.

And while reading her reasons for loving it, "It's a [great] way to spend the holidays...[because] we get to spend more time with [our] family," I felt it. A happy moment of joy and grace.

I find as a mother that those moments are not constant. No, motherhood is more like a symphony of chaos and low notes punctuated with highlights of brightness. I try to sit in those moments, to remember them, because they say to me, "It is worth it. Keep going. Love beyond your current capacity. I'll carry you. Joy to your world, after all."

7 comments:

Erin said...

The bob board. I think that is a great name for it. I am so glad that you still use it. Makes me all warm and fuzzy. You are amazing to do all the stuff with the kids and have troll feet:( What a great mom!

Elisa said...

I am uber impressed with all that you do. I have no excuse except a giant case of the bah-humbugs.

You're a good Mama!

Lisa-Marie said...

Me too. Me too.

My van is covered in eclairs right this very moment due to our advent calendar activity gone wrong!!! Oh, heaven help me. And you too!

But, just like Logan, my kids love our advent calendar. It's the first thing they ask about in the morning. I on the other hand have a love/hate relationship with the thing!

The Leithead Family said...

Joy to your world, Laurel!! I can't even remember each night to take a link off the "countdown to christmas" chain matty made at preschool. We took off eight days worth this morning!! Have a Merry Christmas...thanks for inspiring me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I needed that last paragraph. Especially today!! Keep going.. I can do that!!!

Sara said...

love this one and i love the meltdown over maternity clothes one...i can so relate!

Audrey said...

Aha! So glad you found me Laurel. I thought I had given our blog address to Xee to give to Thomas...that explains it. And so the queen of blogger is now reading my blog. I better check my grammer!! Oh, I miss you dear friend. Like your hair btw. I can tell from your Christmas cards that you FINALLY had the patience to grow it out. Yes, the little ones can be quite a handful...and well, Phoebe is my Logan. Need I say more? Natural born leaders, our girls. And we too, are trying for another...oh, the madness! And the JOY!