Monday, December 15, 2008

How a Crazy Woman Knows She's Loved

Most of the time I love being pregnant. I'm over the moon about it. After all, it's not like this happened accidentally for us. We chased after it, and we got it! And usually I'm super grateful. But today I cried. I mean an ugly, hyperventilating kind of cry.

I'm pretty sure losing my mind has to do with being hormonal, but it also has to do with the fact that my underwear suddenly don't fit. That put me in a bad mood this morning to begin with. And the fact that after coming home from our weekend getaway all of my maternity pants are dirty. So I pretty much had nothing to wear. Standing in my closet in my ill-fitting underwear and trying to determine what I could possibly clothe myself in, I started feeling the low rumblings of angry discord somewhere in the pit of my soul, but I plowed forward. Maybe that green dress of mine would work. It's comfortable and casual enough for every day. But footwear...that was a problem.

Currently I have three pairs of shoes that fit. Lace up tennies (Thank the Lord for laces!), ankle boots (that I can get into most days), and knee high dress boots that I bought two sizes bigger than usual to hide the cankles pregnancy has blessed me with. None of these options were inspired.

Then I spied them in the dark corner of my closet: My tan leather and suede cowboy boots I've had since college. I could probably make them work with the dress in an artsy sort of way. So I put on the green dress. I quickly realized, however, that what worked in month three looks rather ridiculous in month 6. That angry discord began to rise as I yanked it off.

Okay...What about my new heather grey maternity dress? That could work, and probably would look better with the boots anyway. Who cares if I wear it every week? It's a no failer. At least for now...Taking a look in the mirror I concluded that it would do.

Finally it was time for the boots. Except as I pushed my giant troll feet into them, it began to be apparent that they might not--NO WAY! This was not happening. I stood up, looped my swollen fingers through the leather pull straps and yanked, and yanked, and stomped, and yanked again. Of course I had to be careful of my right wrist which has developed carple-tunnel-like symptoms because of the MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF WATER THAT I AM RETAINING!!! However, despite the obstacles, and thanks to the stomping and yanking, I finally forced my way into them... only to find the pinching and constriction unbearable.

That's when I lost my mind. I yelled and stomped, trying desperately to get the thing off, and began blubbering. That's what Mr. Wicke found when he ran up the stairs thinking I had possibly fallen down. I threw myself into the rocking chair, weeping and cursing my enormous troll feet, and then, thanks to my current limited lung capacity I found myself unable to catch my breath.

It's all too humiliating to recall. I am fully aware that I was ridiculous. I was aware as it was happening that I was ridiculous. And it's even more humiliating to think that someone other than God witnessed it. What was poor Mr. Wicke supposed to do with all that crazed, hormonal, emotion?

You know what he did? He petted my head, and then gently tried to remove the offending boots...eventually he had to muscle them off, but I appreciated the initial gentle effort. Then he told me to lie down and get some rest. He even offered to pick me up some new underwear today. And you know what else? I'll bet he'll never mention it again. Now that is love.

16 comments:

Kate said...

Love it! Those moments are almost the best- because you know you are loved in spite of the craziness of it all! Try having bodily things coming out both ends and having your hubs patting your head... now- that is love! (It has happened more than once!)

Lauren said...

Oh Laurel. You are so sweet. Hang in there honey. Do you need some more Cafe Rio? ;)

The Kriloff Klan said...

Ah the memories! They all came flashing back! Except....Sean wasn't there to come to my rescue....the teenager at Famous Footwear I am sure was scarred for life!!!! To this day I am sure that she still has sworn off children!!!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Oh dear, What a day for you. It will get better. I think you should take Lauren up on the trip to Cafe Rio. That place can work miracles;);)

Erin said...

Clothes during pregnancy is horrible! My most hated thing! I have had many emotional crying outbursts, I feel your frustration! Good thing you have a loving husband that can just tell you to lay in bed for a little while. Bill actually did that the other night and I just freaked out at him more. Poor guy!

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh, man. I am not pregnant but am crying. (Half from laughing, half from memories.) I've so been there done that.

I am so glad that you have Mr. Wicke. And yes, take a rest. You deserve it.

And whenever you are ready, it's probably about time for another picture!!!

The Dutton's said...

Oohhh! I have so been there! Thanks for sharing and for helping some of us realize we are not alone! Hope your day gets better and I would love to hear from you! Tonya

Madame Queen said...

And you know what? You are totally allowed at least one (and possibly more) of those during pregnancy. If it makes you feel any better, I had a similar tantrum over my own wardrobe just last week, and I'm not even pregnant!

Aubrey said...

oh man that's the WORST (besides the fact I just called you a man--we hate men right now, right). I remember the Sunday after my feet started to stay swollen all night instead of receding and I had two choices for shoes if I didn't want to ruin any--nasty, dirty flip-flops (I still don't know why I didn't go buy new cute ones) and steel-toed boots (I worked in a warehouse--yeah, while pregnant). I opted for the flip-flops and wore them for the next two months. (WHY didn't I buy nicer ones?! the stupid things I do.)

Anyway, now I want to see a picture of you in your cute grey dress. I'm like Madame Queen, having hissy fits over clothes when not even pregnant. I just keep buying stupid things and have recently decided I have frumpy taste. That said, imagine the horrors the next time I'M pregnant--if I allow it to happen.

Amanda said...

I was so thankful to have a uniform for work when pregnant with London. There were never any worries about what I was going to wear.

I don't even remember getting dressed while pg with Kirby. If Hugh Hefner can go day in & day out in jammies then so can I!!!

And, not to alarm you, but you're really going to cry after you give birth. Do not, I repeat, do NOT watch any Hallmark commercials or, heaven forbid! a Hallmart movie presentation! Trust me! lol!

It's all normal! :)

Megan B said...

Yes that is love. And thanks for sharing it with me this weekend.

Shana said...

Yes, yes, yes... we have all been there. I'm only laughing right now because it seemed only yesterday that I had an outburst like that of my own. The things we woman endure to experience pregnancy and having a child. It is an amazing thing, but so hard on your body.
Good thing Saint Thomas was there to rescue you. :)

We will miss you so much in Wyoming for Christmas. We are leaving on Friday. I just hope we don't get snowed in somewhere on there way. ?

Laurel said...

I've had those same feelings. Gotta love being pregnant...it can bring out the best and the worsed in a person in less than a minute :)

Kyle said...

I so feel your pain right now...Ben called me fat the other day...I was a wreck for the rest of the day. Benson tried to explain that I am pregnant..not fat, but the damage was done...the words will never be erased!
For the record, I think you look great!

Anonymous said...

I had a few of those moments!! I choose to not remember them! It gets better then you can look back and laugh (year and years later:). Have a great Christmas!!

The Motherboard said...

At least you're pregnant. I have no excuse.

But, I hear Chocolate and Cafe Rio will make you feel better. I could put together a care package...