Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Remembering Grandma

My Grandma Peterson was not funny. In fact, she was so not funny that she was hilarious. A case in point: She lived kitty corner from the high school and one of her main hobbies was watching those high school students like a hawk. One day, while having a conversation with my brother Curt, who himself was in high school, she said with a look of sure disdain, "I watch what goes on over there. I know who's smoking dope." Just hearing the word "dope" come out of her mouth was funny.

Ray couldn't resist. "Really? How do you know?"

"I can tell by looking in their eyes."

"Well, Grandma, do you think Curt's smoking dope?" Poor Curt was the youngest of five brothers. They loved torturing him.

She gave him a long sideways look, then turning away with a sniff said, "I'm not going to say."

"Grandma!!" Curt was flabbergasted. Everyone else was in hysterics.

She also had an inexplicable aversion to having her picture taken. We don't have a lot of pictures of Grandma, but we do have many pictures of someone with a tea towel over her head or a hand in front of her face. I'm assuming that is her.

The woman would also never say goodbye. Not even on the phone where it is the socially acceptable way to signal the end of the conversation. I was surprised by a click and the dial tone in many of my conversations with Grandma. When she was done saying whatever it was she needed to say, she'd just hang up. I asked her once why she never said goodbye. Her answer? "It's too final."

I think it might have had something to do with her obsession with death. She talked about it all the time and acted like it was waiting just around the corner despite her strong health. Every time one of my brothers left for their 2-year church mission she would say, "Well. I probably won't be here when you get back." Over a span of about 15 years, she saw every one of them return. By the fifth grandson, it had become a joke of sorts.

But she was obsessed with some other things, too. Her flower beds for one. Standing between the street and the sidewalk in front of her house were two long, raised brick flower beds, which were planted with purple and pink petunias every spring. I can never remember any other flower or color ever being used. It was her way. Certainly she was a creature of habit, but then again, maybe she just knew what she liked. Anyway, the flowers were planted in very straight rows in a very specific color pattern. I guess you could say she lived her life with hospital corners, and she did not like when those corners were mussed in any way. Pity the child who made the mistake of walking the brick edges of those planters! And she didn't miss a one of them. She would open the door and give them a tongue lashing the likes of which they had never before experienced. I remember more than one time cringing inside her front room while a school chum of mine ran away in fear.

Having spent some years as a teacher, she had high expectations of children's behavior. We were very clear that we were expected to pick up our playthings before getting out another toy. She also was a stickler for coloring inside the lines and excellent posture. I can't color with my children without thinking of her, and I still hear her voice in my head, "Back straight. Head up. One foot directly in front of the other with toes pointing forward." Someone told me once that I carry myself like a tall person. Despite not knowing exactly what that means, I think I can credit my grandmother for it.

Oh, I credit my grandmother for a lot of things. I spent quite a lot of time there since her house was just across the block, through the neighbor's backyard. I have fond memories of that woman. She taught me to play card games: Old Maid and Animal Rummy. She wouldn't just let me win, either. If I won, I knew I had actually earned it. She always gave me saltines, cheese, and Coke for a snack. It's still one of my favorites. I remember spending the night at her house, sharing her room, she in one twin bed and I in the other. Before falling asleep she would tell me the story of a group of Indians who carried a settler girl away. I don't remember the rest of the story, but I do recall it was quite fascinating.

And oh, how I loved her macaroni and cheese. Well, that was what she called it. Now I know that it was just cheesy noodles. She'd boil giant elbow macaroni (the likes of which I have never found as an adult), throw in some Colby cheese (which she let me cut into cubes with the big knife), and stir until it melted. The ultimate cheesiness, stringing from the bowl to my mouth, filling the inside of the noodles. Heavenly. And then afterward she would let me wash the dishes, the incredibly hot water she insisted upon turning my little hands pink.

If it got on toward evening I could count on watching the Lawrence Welk Show with her. It was during one of these shows that she gave me some great performing advice: Never sing with your eyes closed. Paula Abdul has nothing on my Grandmother. She was giving that advice long before American Idol.

She also played a vital role in teaching me how to work. When I was old enough I got to mow her lawn, which was a treat since she had a riding lawn mower and being fascinated with the concept of driving, I was happy to drive anything mechanical. But Grandma wasn't satisfied with mediocrity. Her expectation was that any job worth doing was worth doing well. Doing her lawn meant raking, edging, trimming--the works. She could be a bit of a task master, but those lessons of hard work and going the extra mile have been a blessing to me. I never wanted to disappoint my grandmother, and I still don't.

Grandma Peterson died when I was fourteen years old. I have been without her longer than the time I had with her, but she is forever with me, inside my mind and my heart. She lives on despite the boundaries of mortality. She exists in the way I walk, the way I work, and the way I raise my children. As it turns out, we don't have to say goodbye because that kind of love is an immortality of sorts, and there is nothing funny about that. (And don't think for a minute that I doubt she's watching me like a hawk! Right, Grandma?)

18 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

What a great tribute to your grandma. Sounds like she was a fantastic lady. She sounds a lot like my Grandma Stevens. Maybe they knew each other;) I'm sure she knew my grandpa, since he was from Cowley.

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

I have many memories of Grandma Peterson. Cyndi and I were having a tea (postum) party once and we were "pretending" to smoke. She washed our mouths out with soap for that one. One summer day we were riding in her car with the windows down, she didn't like the wind blowing in the car so she hit the power button and up they went. The only problem was my ponytail was caught outside the window and I was too scared to say anything. So I rode from Lovell to Cowley with the side of my head pressed against the window and my ponytail blowing out the window. She was always kind to me though and I have fond memories of both your grandmothers. It was fun reading your blog, brought back a lot of memories.

Amber said...

I just love that your grandma was almost as crazy as mine was. Some of my families best moments of laughter are spent remembering our grandma. As you pointed out, the quirks make their memory that much more lasting and always sweeter with a pinch of laughter!

Pam said...

You are such a great writer Laurel. Everyone needs a grandma like that.

Jamie said...

Aunt Laurel...thanks for that. I don't remember much about her-I do remember a few things here and there about her (button jars and glass grapes!) and spending good times at her house. It was so great to hear more about her. Thanks! Now I know why Grandpa was a stickler at the Office! haha!

Susan said...

Laurel,

I don't want you to think you're losing your mind...I did delete my first comment. After I read it I decided it needed to be reworked. I'll work on some more memories. Most of my childhood memories involve your family. Tell your sister hi for me.

The Kriloff Klan said...

What a nice tribute. But wait, I didn't know you were older than 28?

Megan B said...

What a beautiful tribute to a woman I can't wait to meet and thank for teaching her granddaughter so well!

Debbie said...

AWW that made me miss my grandma.
She was my best friend and I loved her soooooooo much..
Hmm good memories

Shana said...

I love your post today. I don't remember a lot about Great Grandma Peterson, so it was really nice to get to know her more through your experiences. Thanks!

PS I told you those Ritz crackers with Ketsup and Cheese are good! Have you gotten brave and tried them yet?

Love you!

Debbie said...

Grandmas get the pleasure of influencing us and almost without the consequence. Good, bad or whatever, grandmas are needed. Perhaps our grandmas were kindred spirits, I found many similarities in your heartfelt tribute. Thanks!!

Rochelleht said...

Oh, that was great! I have a quirky one, myself. She just emailed me happy birthday and I don't have the heart to correct her calendar. She told me in her email that she still cries every time someone mentions that she's short. Poor 4' 11' grandma... She'll never get over that whole height disappointment. Even after 87 years.

Deanna said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Grandma. I hope someday my grandchildren can say half so much about how I lived my life. I am becoming ever more grateful for wonderful examples of strong, seemingly ordinary, women who lived excellent lives.

mother of seven said...

Thanks....I loved this post. Makes me think about mine. I wished I was able to spend more time with her.......We did not live close.

My kids don't realize how lucky they are to have both my patents live in Phoenix. they are in good heralth and very active.

I beleive we all need to stop and smell the roses some....

Madame Queen said...

You are a truly wonderful writer. This is a lovely tribute to your grandmother. She sounds like a heck of a woman!

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

You are a crack up. Thanks for sharing info about your grandma.
Everyone knows my grandma in Hawaii, well because for 1, she is LDS and she is a descendent to the King..so, needless to say...she knows everyone too.

It is a complete crack up to talk to grandparents because honestly, they have the best stories ever!

Elisa said...

That is beautiful!! I "got" to watch The Lawrence Welk show too... (It is baffling why that show lasted as long as it did...)

I have wonderful memories of my grandparents too. Thanks for sparking them!