Friday, September 19, 2008

Phoning Home

I call my mom a lot. Probably at least three times a week, and we talk for no less than 45 minutes. I think about calling her every day. For no particular reason. Just because I'm doing dishes and want to talk. But I don't because I'm careful with money. Well, at least I think about money...once in a while, and in deference to our phone bill, I try to practice some self control.

Much to Mr. Wicke's credit he has never commented on my phone calls to mom. It is a non-issue. He doesn't complain that I call her a lot, and I don't complain that he married me and took me far away from her. Yet another example of how Mr. Wicke and I were made for each other.

The funny thing about these phone calls, however, is that I'm not so good on the phone with anyone else. I never have been. I was not one of those teens that spent hours on the phone with friends, and I'm not one of those adult women, either. Just with my mom do I call to talk about nothing in particular.

And here's why: I never worry that she'd rather be doing something else. You see, I am unendingly interesting to my mother. Believe me, I am not delusional enough to think that anyone else on the planet feels the same way, but to Mom I am fascinating. If there was a tabloid magazine solely devoted to my non-celebrity, very average existence, she would be the only subscriber. Do you know what a gift it is to be loved like that?

I am unguarded with my mother because there are no strings attached. She was the person who loved me first, and she has, from that moment on, been on my side. There is a day, somewhere in the future, that I fear: The day when I can no longer call my mom on the phone. In that moment, I will lose my champion, my touchstone, my cheerleader, and my friend. I try not to think of it often, but knowing, perhaps, that that day will come is not so entirely bad. Perhaps that is why I call so often, just to say, "I love you, too."

13 comments:

Susan said...

I love your mom too!

Stephanie said...

you are so blessed to have a mom like that! I hope my girls feel like that about me...I think my oldest does (she's almost 21) and often calls just to chat! I'm in FL and she's in CA so it's a good thing we have unlimited minutes!

Sher said...

That is so sweet!
I should call my mom more often. I usually just go visit, because she lives close, but she's usually not home.
She's a go getter. I should stop blogging and be more like here.

mother of seven said...

Sniff sniff.....(Wiping a tear)

Sounds wonderful!!!!

Carrie said...

That is my mom and I also. You worded it exactly as I would have.

Debbie said...

Aren't we both lucky to have such great Moms! :)
I feel the same..

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Mom's are great. My mom and I talk a lot too. I also talk to my mother-in-law quit a bit. Greg always makes fun that I have to call my mommies. He will never understand!!!!

The Kriloff Klan said...

What a great relationsip! If she's out running errands & you need someone to talk to call me! I'll probably be doing my dishes too!

Deanna said...

I love you mom too. Who can help themseleves when it comes to your mom. I love you too. I would have to be your second biggest fan ( only because I can't compete with your mom)I used to think, when I was younger, that those really close, connected,in part, through your hearts and souls relationships would be many... as I have grown older...I have come to realize how rare and precious those kinds of friendships are.But htat just makes them that much more special.

Shana said...

In deed we are lucky to have such wonderful relationships with our mothers. I too, I call my mother a few times a week at least. Whenever I have wondered what my life without her might be like- it is scary and very sad, so I just don't go there!

I love Grandma Peterson. She is one of my role models as well.
XOXO

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

I talk to my parents a lot too. Thank goodness for cell phones. My parents are NOT tech savvy at all so they get lost turning on the microwave and the TV so I can't get them to email me, read the blog or anything else so the home phone for them is where it's at!

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate. I'm terrible on the phone. I'm either worried that I'm boring, being a bother, or on the flip side giving too much info.

I call my sister daily and we chat, laugh, and vent about what ever. It's so nice to have that kind of relationship with someone.

However, I often wonder if being so open with my sister holds me back in my other friendships. I wish it was easier with other people.

Anonymous said...

I think "dissatisfied" is a great word to use. Sure it’s a little harsh said out loud but that’s exactly how I’m feeling. And I don’t blame anyone else for it but myself. I give everything to my sister (who lives 3 hours away) and find that sometimes I don’t open myself up to my friends who I see regularly.

It’s something that I’ve been struggling with a lot lately and therefore I’ve become a little insecure in certain friendships. Being insecure is never a good thing and I think they’re picking up on it and thinking it’s something else. {{crap}} Everyone wants to feel included and accepted as part of the group and right now I feel more like an outsider. Again, it’s my own fault for the walls I build up and then have to tear down, causing me to be hot and cold at times. Life is just so busy and I feel torn in so many directions.

On the bright side, I totally expect to have this all figured out by the time I’m 40. {{giggle}}