Monday, September 22, 2008

Just Another Day in the Office

There is a lot involved in being a mom. I think it may be the only job where the training program lasts as long as the employment. Weeks ago Logan brought home from school coupons for the circus. Originally she was given one, but she asked the teacher for 3 more for her whole family. Apparently, she really wanted to go to the circus, and so like every good parent, we promised her that we would go on the allotted weekend. The promise was made before we realized, weeks later, that Mr. Wicke would be gone on an overnight campout with the young men. Even I, who can actually read the family calendar, somehow blocked that little tidbit out. Come Friday morning over breakfast I said, "We need to make a plan about what time we will be leaving for the circus tonight."

"Are you going to do that by yourself?" Thomas asked with some admiration...or maybe it was trepidation. I can't be sure.

"Myself? What do you mean?"

"Uh, I've got that campout tonight."

"Oh...that's right. Ugh. I don't want to go without you!"

"But, but--I really want to go to the circus!" Logan interjected, tears beginning to well up.

I locked eyes with Mr. Wicke. It was clear I was going to have to cowgirl up. "Of course we're going. No problem..." But inside I was shaking. Sometimes a person can not imagine all the things that could go wrong on a family outing. Then again, sometimes trying to will scare the dickens out of you. But being a mom means sucking it up and facing the fear. Being a mom means making your kids' dreams come true. So, I was taking the kids to the circus, Mr. Wicke or no.

And you know what? It went off without a hitch. The kids were amazingly good. They didn't even throw a fit when I said no to the $8.00 elephant rides. The circus, while no Barnum and Bailey's, still worked its magic, and we loved every minute of it. It wasn't until we got back in the car that I was educated in what else being a mom means.

No sooner had we wound into all the exiting traffic when Griffin announced, "I have to go pee pee!" There was no stopping, and he has no control, so I handed him an empty water bottle with specific instruction to get his little thingy INSIDE the bottle. (Specifics are very important I have discovered...the hard way.) For a moment I thought all was well until I heard, "It got on my pee pee." Unfortunately he said it only as he was handing me the bottle because that's when I realized that something was dripping down the outside of it as well--AND I WAS HOLDING IT!!! IN MY HAND!!! And, as a side note, trying to drive.

"Sick! Griffin! Logan find me a--a--a---(Mind not functioning. Too obsessed with pee covered hands!) a--a napkin!!!"

"Why?"

"Because I'm covered in URINE!"

To which Logan calmly responded, "You shouldn't be so upset. That's just part of being a mom."

...Ah, of course. Good to know. I'll add that to the ever growing list.

15 comments:

Sara said...

oh! i have experienced "the pee in a bottle episode in the car" too many times to count with my little guy...i have been sprayed and dripped & dribbled on...i did not know that was in the job description!

Lauren said...

Thanks for the heads up on what I have to look forward too with Taggart! :) You are such a great mom to go to the circus, even without your hubby! I'm glad that you survived. Do you know what you're having yet?

Sher said...

Story. Of. My. Life.
It seems EVERY Single time we get in the car, or try to leave to go somewhere, or get somewhere with no bathroom, somebody has to go.
We've done a lot of piddling in the parking lot behind the car.

Ashlee said...

And I thought I would be done with having their stuff on my hands as soon as I am done potty training. Jackson is so carefree that we are still facing accidents and I have had stuff on my hands more than any of us should have to experience in the last week. I also have been throwing away underwear wherever we are and letting him be free and easy until we can get home. :) Friday is not good - we have the ward party. :) How does Saturday look?

Erin said...

Logan is a quick little whipper snapper. I'm glad she already knows what being a mom involves:)

Rochelleht said...

Could I be laughing any harder!? Oh, that Griffin and his bodily functions. Your small family outings sound like our road trips.

Hamilton Family said...

Boy, just wait until you're on a 6 hour airplane ride and all the kids get sick sometime in the duration. Being a mom means holding three barf bags at once (between two rows) while the baby is barfing all over your chest! Not funny then....very funny now!

Deanna said...

I fortunately have not (as of yet) had to experience the 'peeing in the bottle'. but with three boys it is only a matter of time, right? Logan is definetly your child. I Love it!!!!!

Madame Queen said...

Boy, Logan's learned quickly! I'm not even sure I would be phased by urine anymore! How sad is that?

And after some of the family outings you guys have had, I would be nervous too! Glad it went so well, though!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

This is to funny. Good job on the circus. I've been to those "coupon" circus's before. They can be a little scary. Your such a great mommy:)

Laurel said...

Funny story...I never really understood all the gross stuff mom's have to deal with until I became one.

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing so hard because I did the same thing to my son! Afterwards he thought it was so cool and wanted to try and sneek it to his brother as lemonade. Grodie!!! I was a little relieved he could laugh about it and I didn't tramatize him for life. ;)

Shana said...

See...now that is why I haven't gotten a boy yet. I don't know what I would do with one now that I'm so used to little girls.
That story is one for the books I tell ya!

Love ya!

desert mom said...

A circus! I'll bet you had just as much fun as Thomas and the young men did out camping. And yes, you were brave going it alone with the children. As for the pee bottle, Thank goodness for them. And thank goodness we can laugh as we look back.

Have we missed the announcement?

Elisa said...

Just one more thing you need to take up with the Big Man again... did you ever get your pay raise?? :0p